Reversing the Carnage

66 replies to this topic
  • peaceofwork

Posted May 28, 2014 - 08:57 PM

maybe its bad karma from when you put them non oem voodoo washers it that clutch?

• KennyMc

Posted May 28, 2014 - 09:15 PM

Nah, it's the home-made graphic kit :smirk:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 29, 2014 - 04:58 AM

It's from sitting too close to multiple ktm's for 3 weeks. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted May 29, 2014 - 08:42 AM

Err... so how is it that the bike got ridden 25 miles with insufficient coolant ?   <- not meaning to criticize you, but wanting to know so I don't repeat the experience !

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 29, 2014 - 12:23 PM

Err... so how is it that the bike got ridden 25 miles with insufficient coolant ?   <- not meaning to criticize you, but wanting to know so I don't repeat the experience !

Google Malcom Smith Trail on Youtube...total vertical rock fest for hours.

14/50 gearing

Radiator cap that failed to open, so the right radiator split it's seam.

not my video...

this is one small section....

...and then on the way back there is Devils hole, which is another bouderfest, but underwater....

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, May 29, 2014 - 12:28 PM.

• RockerYZWR

Posted May 30, 2014 - 06:58 AM

Looks like..."fun?" Fun, yeah, that's it. One of those places where you don't choose the line a lot of the time; the line chooses you. And then puts you sideways, stalled out, and falling over in the worst possible place.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 30, 2014 - 11:59 AM

If you really want to be bored to death, but also get an idea of how much trouble I had with the gearing, and the rocks, take a look at this, starting at 7:00 min point.

Most of the time I was pushing the bike as I tried to slip the clutch. If I let the clutch out all the way, that's 8mph at idle, so with some throttle I needed to be able to maintain about 12mph to actually ride the bike.

...lots of stopping and catching my breath and looking for alternate lines in this video.....in the end Ben and Alex came down the hill and helped me out.....then my cam battery dies, so we never even get to see the really hard stuff afterwards.

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, May 30, 2014 - 12:02 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 31, 2014 - 10:28 AM

God this bike carb access sucks.

Had the ACV active all this time, and decided to remove it. 

It is better without it; less hesitation from idle, less of a 'flat' spot off idle.

...of course, you have to change the mainair jet to 100. remove the ACV spring, and reverse the diaphragm. 

...also lowered the fork oil height 15cc's; trying to get more compliance without reducing compression damping.

Seems to have helped, but tomorrow will tell for real.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:07 PM

If you really want to be bored to death, but also get an idea of how much trouble I had with the gearing, and the rocks, take a look at this, starting at 7:00 min point.

Most of the time I was pushing the bike as I tried to slip the clutch. If I let the clutch out all the way, that's 8mph at idle, so with some throttle I needed to be able to maintain about 12mph to actually ride the bike.

That is exactly my biggest complaint with the WR450F in extreme tight stuff.  Its geared way too fast.

I dropped my gearing to 12/51 last summer and it made a huge improvement.  It happily runs slower, its got more throttle response for doing maneuvers and it stalls less.  It also runs cooler because I'm not slipping the clutch all the time.  It cut down on the top end, but I'm still faster than all the motocross bikes.

I just ordered a 54 tooth rear sprocket to take it one step further.  I'll report back how it works.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, June 25, 2014 - 08:10 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:09 PM

I have given up on the carb. I cannot get rid of the flat spot, which I have never had on any other WR.

I have purchased a new 2008 YZ450F carb for $219 on ebay, that looks new. It will be installed tomorrow

Pulled the top end apart to inspect the new head and stuff two rides after the carnage, and everything is perfect. No issues. 

OS radiators work great, but still no Mohard guards. Apparently the owner of Mohard goes out of town to gamble regularly, so I have to wait 4 weeks.

Forks will get 15cc more oil reduction, to try and get some more compliance

I will also be experimenting with  lower the torque spec for the top motor mount. The dang frame is just way to rigid.....!  I will go down to 30 ftlbs.

Boy, whoever buys this bike when I sell it is going to get a very, very well set up bike......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:10 PM

That is exactly my biggest complaint with the WR450F in extreme tight stuff.  Its geared way too fast. 

I dropped my gearing to 12/51 last summer and it made a huge improvement.  It happily runs slower, its got more throttle response for doing maneuvers and it stalls less.  It also runs cooler because I'm not slipping the clutch all the time.  It cut down on the top end, but I'm still faster than all the motocross bikes.

I just ordered a 54 tooth rear sprocket to take it one step further.  I'll report back how it works.

I am going to 13/50 this week.

12/54 is two low. 

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, June 25, 2014 - 08:11 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:24 PM

I am going to 13/50 this week.

12/54 is two low. 

a) You haven't seen the terrain we ride.  Some of it is hard enduro-esque.  On Sunday we got lost and bush wacked through mud and hills.  Average speed, about 1 MPH.

B) Worst case I won't use first (much).  Would that be so bad ? 

c) I don't race and we rarely ride in 5th gear.  I'll still be faster than the motocross bikes.

d) Better throttle response

e) Less clutch slipping, less over heating

What is not to like ? 

FWIW, my friend, a super vet rider, loves my WR450F with 12/51 and hated it with 14/50.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, June 25, 2014 - 08:29 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:53 PM

a) You haven't seen the terrain we ride.  Some of it is hard enduro-esque.  On Sunday we got lost and bush wacked through mud and hills.  Average speed, about 1 MPH.

B) Worst case I won't use first (much).  Would that be so bad ? 

c) I don't race and we rarely ride in 5th gear.  I'll still be faster than the motocross bikes.

d) Better throttle response

e) Less clutch slipping, less over heating

What is not to like ? 

FWIW, my friend, a super vet rider, loves my WR450F with 12/51 and hated it with 14/50.

Love mine with the 12/51.  I also have the YZ cams though with a mild port job and a .5 bump on the piston.  I still had the bike up to 82 MPH on the street with more to go until I ran into a slight problem.....well, more than a slight problem :facepalm:  :cripple:

Did you get the e-mail?

Edited by KennyMc, June 25, 2014 - 08:54 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted June 25, 2014 - 09:38 PM

Did you get the e-mail?
  Yes I did, thanks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 28, 2014 - 04:31 PM

HOLY CRAP

I've been having tuning problems for months with the YZ/WR

Tried everything I know carb wise, and finally decided....." what if this carb is just plain worn out ? "

...so, I looked for a clean carb on ebay for months, and finally found a '09 YZ450F carb that looked brand new.

I figured it would be the fastest way to find out if the WR carb was toast.  

Bought it.  $225 shipped.

Put it on, with all the YZ stock jetting as it came from the factory.

Guess what?

My WR carb was WORN OUT!

Holy crap does it run better. All aspects of throttle response the power are improved.  It now runs like a stock uncorked  WR, which is good, but with all the YZ power added.

Jetting is 165/45p/55Leak/75 starter/100 air / NFPS needle (4th)

A quick comparison between the WR slide bore and the new YZ carb makes it very clear: the WR slide is a sloppy fit, at best.

DANG that was a painful several months of chasing those multiple tuning gremlins.

One of the wierdest things is that the rough feeling of the motor, which I always attributed to being just plain old, seemed to have gone away.

Now it's smooth, less vibration, less noise, etc.  Yeeeeaaah!

Thank you Mr Ebay.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted June 28, 2014 - 07:44 PM

HOLY CRAP

I've been having tuning problems for months with the YZ/WR

Tried everything I know carb wise, and finally decided....." what if this carb is just plain worn out ? "

...so, I looked for a clean carb on ebay for months, and finally found a '09 YZ450F carb that looked brand new.

I figured it would be the fastest way to find out if the WR carb was toast.  

Bought it.  $225 shipped.

Put it on, with all the YZ stock jetting as it came from the factory.

Guess what?

My WR carb was WORN OUT!

Holy crap does it run better. All aspects of throttle response the power are improved.  It now runs like a stock uncorked  WR, which is good, but with all the YZ power added.

Jetting is 165/45p/55Leak/75 starter/100 air / NFPS needle (4th)

A quick comparison between the WR slide bore and the new YZ carb makes it very clear: the WR slide is a sloppy fit, at best.

DANG that was a painful several months of chasing those multiple tuning gremlins.

One of the wierdest things is that the rough feeling of the motor, which I always attributed to being just plain old, seemed to have gone away.

Now it's smooth, less vibration, less noise, etc.  Yeeeeaaah!

Thank you Mr Ebay.

If the slide is worn and its leaking air past the slide, it will never run right.   Just like worn butterfly shafts.  Every bounce will give you a different air/fuel ratio.  To say nothing of the needle not being centered in the jet.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:20 PM

I had replaced the needle jet....twice, and it always helped.... for a few rides, then it would slowly go sour.....as the needle jet ovaled out again I guess.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 29, 2014 - 03:31 PM

YUP!

That was the problem.

The new carb transforms the bike.

Smooth, wide power everywhere, with no throttle 'work-arounds' anymore!

Now it will wheelie in 4th gear (14/50) no problem, and lug down in any gear and still pull out clean.

Soooooo much better.

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2014 - 03:37 PM

That is the difference between a "smog" carb and a performance carb.

• KennyMc

Posted June 30, 2014 - 03:49 PM

That is the difference between a "smog" carb and a performance carb.

What will it do for the gas consumption?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.