Screen on air filter cage needed with FI?

4 replies to this topic
  • mch

Posted May 19, 2014 - 01:16 PM

My first 4-Stroke was my 2012 WR450F with fuel injection.  I have a friend who has been telling me to cut out the screen inside the filter cage on both my 07 YZ450 (Non-FI) and my WR.  I have some concerns with doing it because I had a friend who's bike burned up in the early 90's after a backfire from his carb.  I'd be doing this for a chance at better throttle response on the YZ, and just to see if it helps uncork the WR any.

Thoughts?

• funt

Posted May 19, 2014 - 01:37 PM

No toil and twin air make flame resistant elements to use with their high flow cages if you're scared of a backfire burning it up.  I cut mine out but I don't know if it made any difference in performance.  It's hard to cut it all out, there's a lot of tiny pieces left on mine. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted May 19, 2014 - 03:20 PM

If you bike is jetted/mapped correctly, it will not backfire.

• mc1hd

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Very little to be gained, not worth the hassle in my opinnion.  After buying a new twin air  and looking at both stock and twin air filters decided stock was best.  Bought two more stock filters and always have a clean one to put in.  As always opinions will be different.  Just mine. 

• benjar

Posted May 21, 2014 - 12:34 PM

I use the No Toil dual stage with a cage from a YZ250 2-stroke. When I cut the stock WR cage it left sharp strings around it that could get sucked into the motor. The YZ cage comes without the mesh.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.