2013 WR450F Clutch noise

25 replies to this topic
  • MyersAvionics

Posted May 19, 2014 - 05:01 AM

I was out riding yesterday, and noticed that i was getting way more clutch noise than normal. Sounding like a dry bearing or something similar. When i pull the clutch in, it subsides.

I was worried that i did something dumb like forgetting to fully tighten a bolt after changing the oil. Got back to the trailer checked everything out and it was good. I decided to pack it in and go home anyway. I drained the oil to see if i could find any metal flakes, but the oil was perfect. Changed the filter as well and found nothing odd. 

I would think the clutch should be fine. I change the oil every other general ride and after every race. I also change the filter every other ride and after every race. IE way more often than necessary. 

Anyone else have issues such as this?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 19, 2014 - 06:16 AM

Pretty normal complaint on this bike

Motor is very noisy at idle, and gets much quieter when  you pull the clutch in,  even in neutral

• MyersAvionics

Posted May 19, 2014 - 06:45 AM

Pretty normal complaint on this bike

Motor is very noisy at idle, and gets much quieter when  you pull the clutch in,  even in neutral

Good to know. I've raced it a few times now and didn't notice it and then it got to the worrisome levels of loud this weekend. I May still pull the clutch apart to see if i find anything abnormal before i pound it for 2 and a half hours this weekend. 

• Alstar450

Posted May 19, 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hey Meyers let us know what you find. Stock clutches have never been a strong point on the Yamahas, as evidenced in the multiple yearly shootouts. The testers are routinely bringing this up when testing them against other brands. FWIW I never use my clutch once the bike is rolling, well except for the rare instance I am low in the RPM range and I want to get 'er going a little bit quicker.
But ya I'd love to see what you find, maybe it's just a little more worn out than you figured and needs some aftermarket plates.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 19, 2014 - 03:11 PM

There is nothing wrong or substandard about the WR clutch.

It is just not as refined as a Honda clutch.

Can't stand hydraulic clutches. 

• MyersAvionics

Posted May 19, 2014 - 03:38 PM

I pulled the cover and springs out after work today and after leaning on the kick stand it was a quick and easy job (ie not necessary to drain oil). Springs are right on the dot of 50mm, which the book calls for. Everything looks pristine. Leaned the bike over a bit and oil came through. 

What popped out to me is the scraping on the pressure plate. Where the heck is that coming from? The clutch cover looks like new on the inside. I attached a pic below. Kind crappy, but you can make out the scraping. Anyone pull apart a newer WR and see this? Kind of has me on edge and curious to know what caused it or did it come like that from the factory? 

IMG_20140519_00011.jpg

• stevethe

Posted May 19, 2014 - 06:01 PM

I pulled the cover and springs out after work today and after leaning on the kick stand it was a quick and easy job (ie not necessary to drain oil). Springs are right on the dot of 50mm, which the book calls for. Everything looks pristine. Leaned the bike over a bit and oil came through. 

What popped out to me is the scraping on the pressure plate. Where the heck is that coming from? The clutch cover looks like new on the inside. I attached a pic below. Kind crappy, but you can make out the scraping. Anyone pull apart a newer WR and see this? Kind of has me on edge and curious to know what caused it or did it come like that from the factory? 

IMG_20140519_00011.jpg

There was some similar sanding marks on one at Supermoto junkie. Only thing I could figure out was the Japanese sake party on Thursday night being yours was built on Friday morning.

They are always noisy with the clutch out. In fact every bike I own.

Edited by stevethe, May 19, 2014 - 06:04 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 19, 2014 - 06:33 PM

That is normal casting flaw repair.

If the motor had made that mark, it would be arced to match the spin of the part

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, May 19, 2014 - 06:34 PM.

• MyersAvionics

Posted May 19, 2014 - 06:41 PM

That is normal casting flaw repair.

If the motor had made that mark, it would be arced to match the spin of the part

That was my thought as well. Just no evidence of any foul play within the clutch. I suppose it's better to be overly cautious than race it hard when something could be wrong. If i burn up the clutch i'll send you the bill : P... Just joking. I appreciate the insights. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 19, 2014 - 08:19 PM

I  abused my WR clutch to DEATH on one ride last month, and it's still fine. I have yet to pull the plates to see if they turned color or not, but I expect they did.

I was geared 14/48 on a boulder strewn mountain, and had to 'launch' the bike from boulder to boulder using the clutch, as there was no way I could even pull 1st gear.

Got stuck about 15 times, and split the radiator and lost all fluid, when the radiator cap failed to open. I rode 25 miles with no water.....

I burnt the head up (cam journals) due to heat, but everything thing else in the motor seems just fine.  Re-porting and re-building the head as we speak.

I've long known that the WR motor is THE most abuse-able off-road motor yet built.

This is after trying (2) 2012 KTM's and watch them fail miserably at just about everything, especially handling, I decided to build my own hybrid WR/YZ, based around the larger 2008 model.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • suzuki son of a bitch

Posted May 19, 2014 - 09:20 PM

I abused my WR clutch to DEATH on one ride last month, and it's still fine. I have yet to pull the plates to see if they turned color or not, but I expect they did.

I was geared 14/48 on a boulder strewn mountain, and had to 'launch' the bike from boulder to boulder using the clutch, as there was no way I could even pull 1st gear.
Got stuck about 15 times, and split the radiator and lost all fluid, when the radiator cap failed to open. I rode 25 miles with no water.....
I burnt the head up (cam journals) due to heat, but everything thing else in the motor seems just fine. Re-porting and re-building the head as we speak.

I've long known that the WR motor is THE most abuse-able off-road motor yet built.
This is after trying (2) 2012 KTM's and watch them fail miserably at just about everything, especially handling, I decided to build my own hybrid WR/YZ, based around the larger 2008 model.

What were the two ktm's you owned?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 20, 2014 - 04:55 AM

2012 500 XCW

2012 450 SXF

Both with extensive suspension work

• grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2014 - 06:53 AM

The "clutch noise" isn't the clutch at all, it's the gearbox rattling back and forth on itself because of the uneven idle speed the thumper has.  Pulling the clutch disconnects it and it stops.  Putting the bike in gear will stop it too.  It's entirely normal, very common to other makes, and can also be heard in a number of stick shift cars with 4 cylinder engines or Diesels.

The "scraping" on the pressure plate appears to be sanding marks (picture's not sharp).  If it had dragged something, the marks would be almost perfectly circular and on center, and there would be a matching mark on the inside of the cover (unless it has been replaced).  Could have been some prior problem, but not likely a current condition.

(The Yamaha clutch) is just not as refined as a Honda clutch.

Really? Explain what's any more "refined" about the Honda.

• MyersAvionics

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:06 AM

The "clutch noise" isn't the clutch at all, it's the gearbox rattling back and forth on itself because of the uneven idle speed the thumper has.  Pulling the clutch disconnects it and it stops.  Putting the bike in gear will stop it too.  It's entirely normal, very common to other makes, and can also be heard in a number of stick shift cars with 4 cylinder engines or Diesels.

The "scraping" on the pressure plate appears to be sanding marks (picture's not sharp).  If it had dragged something, the marks would be almost perfectly circular and on center, and there would be a matching mark on the inside of the cover (unless it has been replaced).  Could have been some prior problem, but not likely a current condition.

Interestingly, when i put it in gear it either gets louder or stays the same. 

• grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:17 AM

Interestingly, when i put it in gear it either gets louder or stays the same. 

That's unusual.  Is there any rotational play between the clutch basket and the primary driven gear? By that I mean can you rotate the basket relative to the gear at all by hand?  If so, your drive cushions could be beat up.  Might also check the nut holding the drive gear in place.

• MyersAvionics

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:26 AM

That's unusual.  Is there any rotational play between the clutch basket and the primary driven gear? By that I mean can you rotate the basket relative to the gear at all by hand?  If so, your drive cushions could be beat up.  Might also check the nut holding the drive gear in place.

Tried rotating the basket in all gears and i couldn't budge the thing. I would be pretty mad if there's anything too "worn". I bought the bike brand new and it has about 200 miles on it, if that. Before i replace the gasket and button everything back up, i'll have to see if i can find anything else amiss. 

• grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:44 AM

Don't worry too much about noises unless yours is making some sound that none of the others you listen to do.  The engine has a reputation for being less than quiet, and normally sounds like a convention of pipe fitters.  They're also almost indestructible.

• MyersAvionics

Posted May 20, 2014 - 12:03 PM

Don't worry too much about noises unless yours is making some sound that none of the others you listen to do.  The engine has a reputation for being less than quiet, and normally sounds like a convention of pipe fitters.  They're also almost indestructible.

That's why i stopped riding when i did : P... i'm half deaf as it is due to working on a flight deck for some time. That's actually one of the reasons i replaced the stock exhaust... the darned thing was so quiet i couldn't hear the bike at all when racing. So when i heard the clutch making more noise than i'm used to i decided to play it safe. 

Taking it out this Saturday to ensure it's good and then racing Sunday. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 20, 2014 - 03:24 PM

Really? Explain what's any more "refined" about the Honda.

...a more refined 'feel' to the clutch....

Lighter pull with better modulation.

• suzuki son of a bitch

Posted May 20, 2014 - 04:28 PM

2012 500 XCW
2012 450 SXF
Both with extensive suspension work

Everyone kept saying how awesome the 500 xcw was. Did the handling suck?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.