I'm weeping??

7 replies to this topic
  • Amador

Posted January 15, 2002 - 10:09 PM

hi fellas,

I'm leaking coolant at a very slow pace from the weep hole in the botom of the water pump cover. What does this mean? Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted January 15, 2002 - 10:37 PM

Sounds like a bad waterpump seal to me. I had that happen on my KX250 and a previous 4-wheeler I used to own. You will have to completely disassemble the waterpump and replace the seal from the back side of that righthand crankcase. It is easier than it sounds but follow the directions in your manual. Good luck and sorry to hear about the leak!! Frank :)

• 4:20six

Posted January 15, 2002 - 11:49 AM

My buddies 98 400 did the same exact thing, but water was gushing out that hole. Tried replacing the gasket, but ended up replacing whole waterpump.

• Hokie

Posted January 15, 2002 - 01:12 PM

The same thing happened to my 99 YZ400. I replaced the whole pump and seals since the impeller shaft had a lot of build up on it and it would have torn the new seals to shreds. It is pretty easy to do.

One word of caution, be careful with the banjo bolt in the oil feeder line. It is very easy to strip out the threads in the crank case cover. Make sure the threads are clean and the bolt is not cross threaded. (Don't ask how I know this
:) )

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 15, 2002 - 01:31 PM

It is a simple <$2 fix.
do yourself a favor and get it fixed asap.
It is a way to let you know that the seal is wearing out. This lets u fix it b4 water passes into your crank case and mixes with your oil. I had no clue what it was or how to fix it and it took me about 20 min from start to finish. Be very careful how you push the new seal in. I used a socket that just BARELY fit into the hole and drove in the seal VERY squarely and tapped easily.
I used a small flat screwdriver to very gently pry out.
Really is very simple. :)

• Amador

Posted January 16, 2002 - 07:47 PM

Hey Rock hucker (or anybody)

Can you please refer to the ownre's manual on page 4-46 and let me know which seal you are talking about. is it #15-oil seal 1 or #16-oil seal 2?? Thanks for your effort.

• MX_Tuner

Posted January 17, 2002 - 02:00 AM

There are actually two seals at teh water pump. While you're in there, I'd replace them both. In fact, I have my 450 torn down to replace the counterbalancer key (it was VERY loose) and the water pump parts. Mine is a '98 that has all the original water pump parts so I'm replacing the shaft, the bearing and both seals.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 17, 2002 - 10:12 PM

I only replaced the outer one AND the gasket which is rubber. and mine has been fine. But like MX says since you are in there anyway you may want to replace both. The outer one is the one that is the last line of defense for H2o in your oil so it is obviously the most important! :D
I think the gasket and seal were around 5bucks w/disc.???? :)

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.