Whay a push and a pull on the throttle cable?

6 replies to this topic
  • MikeOK

Posted January 15, 2002 - 08:40 AM

I am just wondering, why do we need a return (push) cable on our throttles? It looks to me like we just need a pull??

Mike

• mikeolichney

Posted January 15, 2002 - 08:53 AM

Apparently the four strokes generate alot of vacuum and would need a really beefy return spring with just a pull cable.

• Hick

Posted January 15, 2002 - 09:12 AM

Just to add to Mike’s post, apparently it is possible for the slide to “surf” on the intake flow at WFO and this vacuum effect could in some cases not be overcome by your standard strength return spring. And that would be scary. I discovered on my KX 500 on one occasion that the kill button isn’t very effective when the motor is at redline (I also learned that proper throttle cable routing is an important thing on a KX 500).

Therefore on the FCR the “push” cable actually pulls the slide down when you twist the throttle back to the off (idle) position.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted January 15, 2002 - 01:28 PM

If ya wanted to research it, you'd find that just about every fourstroke around over 350cc has a push/pull throttle and have for years. Save some of the old BSA's Triumps and those ilk. They used springs good enough to hold up the fork for a return though

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 16, 2002 - 03:37 AM

The slide getting stuck due to air flow is interesting I never thought of that. I always thought that it was safety in case the cable got frayed causing a stuck slide or something similar. I have never looked on the 2-strokes, do they not have double cables on most 250+ cc 2-strokes?

• Hick

Posted January 16, 2002 - 09:12 AM

Originally posted by sirthumpalot:
I have never looked on the 2-strokes, do they not have double cables on most 250+ cc 2-strokes?

I’ve never seen one. My KX 500 just has one cable, heck it may even be the same carb as some of the older, non-power jet 250s (39 mm PWK??).

I wish it did have a pull cable. I almost rode the thing WFO from the garage into my roommate’s bedroom when the throttle stuck on me. :)

• Jeremy

Posted January 16, 2002 - 09:30 AM

A fairly common problem with the DRZ's is that the return cable frays and then breaks. Most everyone that has had that happen has run with just the pull cable. I only remember one person having a problem that may have been related to missing the return cable and that was in VERY cold weather. Don't remember the exact problem. Do a search on the DRZ forum to find it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.