IMS Desert Tank On my 2006 WR450

Body Gas Tanks & Accessories IMS Large Capacity Gas Tank

28 replies to this topic
  • condor74

Posted May 18, 2014 - 12:37 PM

I went for a short test ride and came back to take some temperature readings around the tank.  left side of the bike has no issues and stays fairly cool.  Right side or exhaust side gets a bit hotter.  My temperature gun gives blank lines after 550 degrees and the exhaust where it comes out of the head gets hotter than that.  I did the dirty  deed of revving it up on the stand to put a simulated riding heat load on the exhaust side.  the exhaust as it goes back cool as expected and hangs between 350 to 450 as it crosses under the tank.  The hottest tank reading I was able to get was just under 200 degrees.  The cylinder head surface temperature was about 220 at this point.  The bottom of the radiator was coming in at 230 at this point and this is when I decided to drip a little water onto the radiators to cool it down then shut it off.    The left side of the motor never saw more than 200 on the motor and the tank was reading at 125.  I pointed my infrared gun into the tank and had a reading on top of 117.  I still want to put a little bit of heat shield near the exhaust but as long as I keep fuel in this section, I think it will be ok.  With out fuel in that section, that would be very dangerous. 

• condor74

Posted May 18, 2014 - 12:43 PM

This is with some brass plugs screwed in with thread tape where the nipples were screwed in.  So far no leaks.  I was thinking of putting some quick steel around them to keep them from loosening up or backing out under different vibration and heat conditions.  I dont like having pipe threads sealing against plastic. 

One other thing.  Is it possible that early IMS tanks had provesions for adding the balance tube.  The threads go up approx 3/8s to an 1/2 inch into the tank which is quite a bit thicker than the tank thickness.  Also, during a google search i read about people having problems with the petcock on the right side of tank on the 3.3 gallon tanks.  I am just wondering if this was something that they started with back when they first made the tank for the steel framed WR and later found it was an issue and removed it.  Just a thought. 

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2014 - 08:58 AM

The statement that IMS tanks have no balance lines is true only of the tanks made for the aluminum framed Gen2 bikes.  The tanks for the steel Gen1 frames did have one.  I had one on my '03 YZ450, and ran the line up over the intake port, then rolled the line in 3 layers of aluminum foil to deal with pipe heat.  Never a problem.

• condor74

Posted May 19, 2014 - 10:05 AM

The statement that IMS tanks have no balance lines is true only of the tanks made for the aluminum framed Gen2 bikes.  The tanks for the steel Gen1 frames did have one.  I had one on my '03 YZ450, and ran the line up over the intake port, then rolled the line in 3 layers of aluminum foil to deal with pipe heat.  Never a problem.

What kind of fittings did it have for the balance line?  The tank I have has brass 90 degree nipple with 1/8 pipe thread. From what I can gather currently built IMS tanks do not have the balance lines steel frames or not.  It appears at some point they did have them however and this is where the confusion is.  I looked on IMS's website and downloaded the instruction manual for my bike and tank combo.  They show no balance line and actually instruct you to lay the bike over when it runs out of gas to refill the petcock side of the tank. 

I do not want a fire hazard on my bike, however I do like the idea of having the balance line.  Ideally a tank should be able to be run completely dry with out stopping to lean the bike over.  For me this is a minor annoyance but if I was in some sort of endurance race, where I am depending on the extra capacity to save time, this would not be acceptable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2014 - 11:41 AM

The fittings were the same as you show.  The big PITA with these is when tank has to come off while it's not empty.  No petcock on the balance line.

• condor74

Posted May 19, 2014 - 01:11 PM

The fittings were the same as you show.  The big PITA with these is when tank has to come off while it's not empty.  No petcock on the balance line.

I feel a little better knowing it was not a modified tank. 

• still2smokin

Posted May 20, 2014 - 09:53 PM

The statement that IMS tanks have no balance lines is true only of the tanks made for the aluminum framed Gen2 bikes.  The tanks for the steel Gen1 frames did have one. 

?????  I thought I had an IMS tank .......no balance lines or plugs where one would go .  :excuseme:  

20140111_112442_zps3993b1f2.jpg

• condor74

Posted May 21, 2014 - 08:39 AM

It looks like you do have an IMS tank.  It looks identical to mine except mine is blue.  Mine has a threaded hole at the bottom of the tank at the front lower part of the tank.  It would be in front of the expansion chamber part of your pipe.  Not sure if that is the correct term on a 4 stroke.  From what I gather, it was something that they had and discontinued.  Newer IMS tanks have no balance tube but I have found many references to it on old threads around 2003 and 2004

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2014 - 10:33 AM

?????  I thought I had an IMS tank .......no balance lines or plugs where one would go .  :excuseme:  

The old ones did, the newer ones don't. 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.