Shift lever question

17 replies to this topic
  • Oldyz

Posted May 15, 2014 - 05:33 PM

Hey guys, 

On my 01 YZ426 I bought a few weeks ago I noticed that the shift lever and shaft are pretty much shot. The splines on both are heavily worn. I tightened the shaft real good a few weeks ago and it held for awhile but it is messed up again. 

The way I see it I have three options

1. Replace the shifter and the shaft which is fairly expensive.

2. make some type of keyway or even tack weld the shift lever onto the shaft. (I know really redneck)

3. Try to tighten the absolute heck out of it in hopes that it will not move.

Now I know I should just replace the shaft and the shiftier for $150 or so bucks but I only trail ride with the bike and i would love to save some cash so long as whatever I do works. I'm not one to cut corners like this, but it is a 13 year old dirt bike and it's not like I would be modifying anything that wouldn't otherwise be replaced.

Does anyone know if the shift lever is pot metal or if it is actual steel? If it is pot metal the welding idea wouldn't work anyway. Thanks guys.

• mikedabike

Posted May 15, 2014 - 07:24 PM

The shaft is steel and the shift pedal is aluminum.   New shaft is 65 bucks.  You can buy cheaper from one of the dealers that discounts or there are plenty used on ebay in good shape for 20ish.

• billygildark5007

Posted May 15, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Another redneck fix would be to place a piece of tie wire in the hole of the shift lever then hammer it delicately onto the shift shaft. Then drink a bud light and admire your work... Haha

• Oldyz

Posted May 15, 2014 - 07:45 PM

The shaft is steel and the shift pedal is aluminum. New shaft is 65 bucks. You can buy cheaper from one of the dealers that discounts or there are plenty used on ebay in good shape for 20ish.

Now that you mention that I can definitely tell it is aluminum. I did see some of those eBay ones which are quite tempting. How hard is it to change? I'll have to look at the service manual later..

Another redneck fix would be to place a piece of tie wire in the hole of the shift lever then hammer it delicately onto the shift shaft. Then drink a bud light and admire your work... Haha

Like your way of thinking man! Part of it is honestly time to replace it. I'm a few more weeks I will have a lot more time to replace it so I would love to just come up with a reliable redneck method temporarily if nothing else..

I mean I ain't racing the thing and if it breaks it'd only a mile ride back to my house.. We ain't crossing the Sahara here lol

• billygildark5007

Posted May 15, 2014 - 07:52 PM

Oh... We forgot about jb weld.
There's an old analogy I remember.
If you can't screw it glue it
If you can't duct it f@&k it
If you can't zip tie it buy it

• billygildark5007

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:00 PM

• mikedabike

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:40 PM

Pretty easy to replace.  You have to take the side cover off the opposite (clutch) side of the engine and it is installed from there.  You would also need to replace the side cover gasket (sometimes you can get away with reusing if you are really on a budget) and the shift shaft seal.

• Yz400f Jeff

Posted May 16, 2014 - 11:32 AM

For a temp fix try cutting a strip of beer can and wrapping it around the shaft and slide the shifter over it and tighten it down good till you get around to getting parts, I did this alot when I was a broke redneck kid.... Actually I still am a broke redneck but not a kid and I have a buck or two more then I did back then...

• Oldyz

Posted May 16, 2014 - 01:15 PM

For a temp fix try cutting a strip of beer can and wrapping it around the shaft and slide the shifterihifter over it and tighten it down download. I good till you get around to getting parts, I did this alot when I was a broke redneck kid.... Actually I still am a broke redneck but not a kid and I have a buck or two more then I did back then...

I was thinking something like that but I wasn't sure what material to use.. I'll definitely try it!

My plan now is to just fix it over the summer when I have more time. Being on college right now leaves me little time to mess with this stuff... I'd rather spend what time I have riding so long as waiting to fix something isn't dangerous or won't cause permanent damage.

Question comes down to,

If you need a beer can to complete the job does that make it a one beer job or a two beer job because you have to drink one quick to get the material and then have another one for when your working on it?

Interesting conundrum

Edited by Oldyz, May 16, 2014 - 01:17 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yz400f Jeff

Posted May 16, 2014 - 01:25 PM

Just seen that I put the word download in my reply, I have no idea how that made it in there, damn phone, and yes you make a good point it's a 2 beer minimum.

• seacraft69

Posted May 16, 2014 - 01:37 PM

Just drill a hole straight through the lever and shaft and put a bolt with nyloc nut and washer.

• 72degrees

Posted May 16, 2014 - 01:56 PM

When we had this problem on the YZ250 and no time for a proper repair before the next event I drilled between the pedal and spline with a 3/32 drill then put in a self tapping screw with lots of Loctite to peg it. Lasted until the end of the season when we sold it. The new owner has put a new shaft in now.

• Oldyz

Posted May 16, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Just seen that I put the word download in my reply, I have no idea how that made it in there, damn phone, and yes you make a good point it's a 2 beer minimum.

I tried this... Sadly it didn't work i think it is too far gone... So now I'm left buzzed, still can't shift and am going to drill through it and throw a bolt in it. Then I will order the right parts tonight so I can fix it for good.

Thanks guys!

• Yz400f Jeff

Posted May 20, 2014 - 06:15 AM

It was worth a shot but like you said she is to far gone...time to do some tinkering and fix it up.

• Oldyz

Posted May 20, 2014 - 06:16 AM

It was worth a shot but like you said she is to far gone...time to do some tinkering and fix it up.

Yep. Hopefully the parts come by this weekend and I can have her all ready to rock then. Thanks for the advice/info Jeff.

• Oldyz

Posted May 23, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Thanks a lot guys.. She is all fixed up and back to hauling ass better than ever!
Just a little picture cause... Well... Why not!

1400906876392.jpg

• Yz400f Jeff

Posted May 24, 2014 - 09:12 AM

Good to hear!

• Oldyz

Posted May 24, 2014 - 11:08 AM

Good to hear!

Much easier to ride when you can actually shift correctly! No more angry neutral revs because 2nd was like 4 inches up from first due to play in the lever lol.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.