JD Needle ?

6 replies to this topic
  • bobpara

Posted May 15, 2014 - 05:24 AM

Everyone seems to be running this 'JD Red #5' or 'JD Blue #3' needle

Who is JD and where do I get one?

Is it just the needle or is it a needle / needle jet combo?

• bobpara

Posted May 15, 2014 - 09:54 AM

Is this the item everyone is refering to when they talk about a 'JD Needle'

http://www.jdjetting...3&cat=12&page=1

• RockerYZWR

Posted May 15, 2014 - 10:36 AM

Yes, but it's either the red or the blue. The number is the clip position from the top that people are using.

There is quite a bit of information available here on JD, GYTR, and other needles. The jetting database in the stickies is a really good place to start.

If you buy a JD kit, it's about $75. If you can research and figure out only what parts you need, you can spend less than half that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobpara

Posted May 16, 2014 - 07:25 AM

The never ending quest for more power

I could probably just leave it alone and be fine

My biggest concern is running too lean and as a result, too hot

While I am at it I may get more power too, bonus.

Whats the worst that can happen by jetting a bit (not alot) richer?

I can always put it back

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 16, 2014 - 04:34 PM

The never ending quest for more power

I could probably just leave it alone and be fine

My biggest concern is running too lean and as a result, too hot

While I am at it I may get more power too, bonus.

Whats the worst that can happen by jetting a bit (not alot) richer?

I can always put it back

You are shooting for a 12:1 - 13:1 air fuel ratio.

If you go rich, you waste fuel, and loose power

If you go lean, you increase heat, and loose power

That is why it is important to understand that your jetting is to match your INTAKE and EXHAUST flow, not just air density (altitude) 

That is why people remove the air box restrictions, exhaust restrictions, and re jet the pilot, needle, and main, and then tune the accelerator pump to match the increased power.

It's not about more it's about BETTER power.

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, May 16, 2014 - 04:36 PM.

• rmbukk

Posted May 17, 2014 - 02:36 AM

Rocker where can I get individual parts from the JD kits? Preferably in the UK if possible...

• RockerYZWR

Posted May 17, 2014 - 12:35 PM

Rocker where can I get individual parts from the JD kits? Preferably in the UK if possible...

All the JD kit is is the fabled red and blue needles, a few different main jets and perhaps a pilot jet, I don't quite remember. I do remember being completely underwhelmed to the point that I returned the kit and bought a few jet sizes individually from jetsrus.com and stuck with my current needle (which was what came in the GYTR AIS removal kit for the WR -- which I think, but am not sure is a stock YZ needle).

If you research the different needle options and profiles, jetsrus is the place to go for factory Keihin parts. I don't know if they ship to the UK, but if you can find a place to order only what you need and avoid kits, you'll save some pounds sterling.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.