How to pick the right carb.

Having some trouble getting my bike started for awhile now on my 2001 wr-246f.I have had the carb apart many times and cleaned it.Having less than 1k miles on it is pretty clean.A few issues i have with it are.

1)A few of the screws are stripped.

2)The brass hex head thingy that the float goes into is slightly bent from trying to get it out.

3)The air fuel mix screw is stuck in the closed position.

I'm thinking of just getting a new carb.Not sure what model number to get.I seen a few used ones on ebay but i'm skeptic to go with something used.

Is there a better carb for this bike?If there is what do you think i should go with?

Thanks Rob.

You can probably fix all that, if the body is not damaged from the float needle seat being screwed with.

Stripped screws are from using a Phillips screwdriver. They are ISO screws, not Phillips, so you need an ISO screwdriver.....or replace them with allens.

You want an FCR/MX off of a 2003-2011 YZ450 or WR450 for the easiest install

You can probably fix all that, if the body is not damaged from the float needle seat being screwed with.

Stripped screws are from using a Phillips screwdriver. They are ISO screws, not Phillips, so you need an ISO screwdriver.....or replace them with allens.

You want an FCR/MX off of a 2003-2011 YZ450 or WR450 for the easiest install

Ty for the reply.I know they were allens heads.Unfortunately they are stripped and theres no room to get anything but the short side of the allen wrench in their.I suppose i could try to cut the head off with a Dremel.I should just wait for my mechanic to get un busy.

Here is my $0.02

Putting in a different style carb is ALOT of work....cables, jetting, etc

If you can find THE SAME EXACT one in good condition off of flea-bay, good

1) If it is the screw HEAD that is stripped, perhaps use a dremel cut off wheel and cut a slotted screwdriver slot in the head. If its the thread itself, you are looking at a heli-coil....just get a good one off of flea bay

2) The brass thing you describe sounds like the float seat, a critical item. The part usually comes in a typical carb rebuild kit, if the metal it fits into (the cast aluminum housing) is damaged, get a new / used one off of flea bay

3) If the screw is stuck all the way in I dont think the bike would even run. I assume you are saying its frozen in place. Perhaps a small pin-prick torch and some heat to loosen it? Make sure carb is dry and has no fuel in it

Brass expands 5X faster than aluminum and the heating (expansion) and cooling (contraction) may free up any seizing that may be going on

• Like 1