Backfiring long post please read need help

3 replies to this topic
  • msliker22

Posted May 14, 2014 - 11:30 PM

Ok I'll try not to ramble here but I bought this 07 yz450f from a friend and when I bought it it had a cracked water pump cover and had sat through a Alaskan winter and summer uncovered and nothing done to winterize it so I changed the fuel pump cover new plug fired her up and now when I braap the throttle wide open it's like it governs out not sure if that's part of the bikes design never had a 4 stroke but when I let off the throttle it back fires and kicks a 6 inch orange flame out the exhaust and it is smoking quite a bit also I already cleaned the carburetor really good please any ideas on how to handle this or what's causing it maybe I should just rip it up and down the road to clean it out?

• VetRacer75

Posted May 15, 2014 - 01:09 AM

Silly question but did you flush tank and put in fresh fuel? If so and it's blowing smoke, you might have to rebuild the top end. Does the smoke smell like oil?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2014 - 10:02 AM

First, the bike has a rev limiter.  The limit is set to 11,500 RPM, but in neutral, the limit is lowered to 6,500 to keep some people from blowing up the engine for fun.

Secondly, excessive backfire from the exhaust is caused either by an air leak into the exhaust system (always check for this first), or by a lean idle mixture.  Lean idle can be caused by a partially blocked pilot jet, or simply a misadjusted pilot screw. 

Read: http://www.thumperfa.../jetting.htm#PJ

• msliker22

Posted May 15, 2014 - 03:39 PM

Ok so my bike idle is set way high now and I wanna adjust it to were I just get a nice smooth idle I'm sure and do you think I will have to mess with the fuel skrew at all when adjusting the idle and were is the pilot skrew located and how do you recommend to adjust it I really appriciate the advice guys this is my first 4 stroke so I have a lot to learn

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.