Fuel / Octane

6 replies to this topic
  • bobpara

Posted May 14, 2014 - 11:53 AM

I just read the factory manual (I have an '06 WR450)

They call for 95 octane

Here in Mass, I have been using 93 octane.

93 RON is pretty much the standard here w/ the exception of 94 at Sunoco

I have also been noticing a slight knocking coming from my engine

Anyone have any experience with octane & knocking on one of these?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 14, 2014 - 12:43 PM

I doubt you are experiencing detonation with a stock motor. The compression is not high enough to get detonation, unless you are very lean.

If you are stock (corked, mapping) you need to uncork and re map anyway because they come way too lean.

Use the highest octane pump gas available to you.

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, May 14, 2014 - 12:48 PM.

• bobpara

Posted May 14, 2014 - 01:02 PM

I'm stock on the air cleaner and pipe ('06 WR450)

I'm pretty sure the stock spark arrestor is in there too

The bike ran really good when I got it so I found no pressing need to re-jet (It has a carb and not FI)

The bike was pretty clean and stock when I got it

So I'd bet even the stock jets are in there

From experience alot of bike come from the factory way too lean

Any suggestions , or any link to,  jets?? (I live in Boston at sea level)

So the bottom line on all this is that I could be very well running lean.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted May 14, 2014 - 01:59 PM

Look at the FAQ post and Jetting posts at the top

If you are running stock jetting and exhaust, you are FRYING your stator......it's just too lean and runs too hot.

• bradgross71

Posted May 14, 2014 - 02:21 PM

You sure u are reading North America info? Octane rating vary in other country's. Sounds like a Australia rating to me

• bobpara

Posted May 15, 2014 - 05:23 AM

No, octane rating is directly from factory manual for the '06  page 1-21

I am looking at the stock jetting vs what others are running and I'm seeing very little difference (I have carb not FI)

So I cant understand why it can be said that its running lean and will be too hot, fry, etc

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 15, 2014 - 04:10 PM

No, octane rating is directly from factory manual for the '06  page 1-21

I am looking at the stock jetting vs what others are running and I'm seeing very little difference (I have carb not FI)

So I cant understand why it can be said that its running lean and will be too hot, fry, etc

All off road bikes (non track) are shipped EXTREMELY lean to be way inside the Epa limits. 

This makes the bike run poorly and run very hot.

You need to do more reading in the FAQ section as most of this stuff and your other 5 posts are covered there.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.