wr 450 performance

11 replies to this topic
  • eddiemd

Posted January 19, 2004 - 01:50 PM

From what I have read about the newer Yamahas is that they are top heavy in their handling. I currently have the 97 two stroke WR 250. Could anyone shed some light on if the handling on the WR 450 is considerably different??

• endurodog

Posted January 19, 2004 - 02:40 PM

The WR450 is going to be way different than your WR250. It is a heavier motorcycle. It is a little more top heavy than some of the other 450 4 strokes but if you havn't ridden one you would be suprised by them really.

It takes a little bit more braking to bring them to a stop and a little bit more effort to turn them but not bad. The trade off is great traction in slipper conditions, power out the ying, and they climb like billy goats.

FWIW I still have a 2 stroke for the MX track and ride the WR off road. But I'm even thinking my next MX bike is going to be a 4 stroke.

• RichBaker

Posted January 19, 2004 - 02:56 PM

I went from a 90 YZ250WRA to my 03 WR450....she's a little heavier but I don't notice the difference most of the time. In the really tight twisty stuff she's a little top-heavy but the way she makes horsepower I don't mind....I kept the YZ-WR and haven't been tempted to ride it yet :)
I am keeping it around as a spare/buddy bike, though.

• wjc2003

Posted January 19, 2004 - 03:20 PM

Mine is a heavy bike but it performs quite well.It is not intended for MX. Lots of power and torque.You won't even have to use full throttle to climb hills!A little squirrely in the loose rocks because the power comes on kind of quick.Top speed is very fast.The seat is hard.Short sections of whoops are no problem but long sections can get tiring.I think it turns pretty good for a big bike.It's absolutely great for fire road type riding.

• Chuck Wisdom

Posted May 04, 2007 - 02:43 PM

I just switched from a 93 650 kaw to the 07 450WR so the only thing I noticed was how much lighter it is and the electric start is great. The bike handles so much better and the power is great. My next change will be to change the throttle stop, open the airbox and get rid of the emisson control stull have only been able to ride 5-6 times so the bike only has about 80 miles. The only problem I have had is one of the fork seals started leaking and that set me back $130 and the lost time riding.

• Super Dude

Posted May 04, 2007 - 02:54 PM

I just switched from a 93 650 kaw to the 07 450WR so the only thing I noticed was how much lighter it is and the electric start is great. The bike handles so much better and the power is great. My next change will be to change the throttle stop, open the airbox and get rid of the emisson control stull have only been able to ride 5-6 times so the bike only has about 80 miles. The only problem I have had is one of the fork seals started leaking and that set me back $130 and the lost time riding.

thats because you have an 07. go backan look how old this thread is. the 04 were top heavy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kevinwr450f

Posted May 04, 2007 - 03:00 PM

I came off a ttr 225 and the '07 wr450 to me is very easy to balance at slow speeds and on tight trails....plus so much power just point and shoot!

• inspector

Posted September 19, 2007 - 03:52 PM

I just got an o6 wr450.Had the throttle stop .airbox & jetting done.Can anyone tell me where the gray wire is & do I really need to do it.

• w00dsRider

Posted September 20, 2007 - 05:34 AM

I just got an o6 wr450.Had the throttle stop .airbox & jetting done.Can anyone tell me where the gray wire is & do I really need to do it.

It makes a big difference from mid RPM up, much more punch!
Its under the gas tank along the frame with a bunch of other wires. Just remove it from the connector and tape it or heat shrink it and you're good to go!

• HollywoodMX

Posted September 21, 2007 - 07:56 PM

It does feel top heavy for sure but my friends with their other 2 stroke bikes are like "wholy shit power" when they ride it. It's also a bike that can go up a hill with such low throttle/speed you would be surprised, it just keeps on trucking... I find the brakes are really good too. And you cant forget the sound. Sounds really bad ass, but I have a full titanium exhaust too.

• jpfire

Posted September 21, 2007 - 09:05 PM

Inspector, do a search and you will find all the answers to your hearts content. Pictures too!! Ciao JP

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 22, 2007 - 10:53 AM

....It's absolutely great for fire road type riding.

It will do fireroads well, but don't be afraid to take the 450 over some tough terrain.

Its an excellent hill climber and loves the single track, rocks, ruts, etc...

There are times when I wonder if my wr450 can get through a particular trail. But then I just stand up, relax, lean back just a little and gas it!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.