Is my clutch toast ?

13 replies to this topic
  • rr558

Posted May 11, 2014 - 03:45 AM

I noticed my clutch was slipping so I did some inspecting and found the steel plates are burnt pretty dark but the fibers are in the 2.94 range of wear. Is she toast ? I'm running Rotella T6 synthetic oil I think I might change iols while I'm at it.

• chevyrulz

Posted May 12, 2014 - 10:58 AM

i've heard it's better for your clutch fiber plates to use a semi-synthetic instead of a full synthetic, not sure of the merit of that statement but I'm sure plenty will chime in shortly

as far as the clutch pack, I have no clue of the wear specs, but at $40 for a new set of fibers & steels, I'd go ahead & swap them out while I had it apart...

• VetRacer75

Posted May 12, 2014 - 12:46 PM

Measure your springs if they don't have a free length of at least 49 millimeters then they're toast. I would replace the fibres if they are under 2.9 mm. Cheers.

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2014 - 02:09 PM

i've heard it's better for your clutch fiber plates to use a semi-synthetic instead of a full synthetic, not sure of the merit of that statement...

There is none. It's BS.

• chevyrulz

Posted May 12, 2014 - 04:50 PM

^good 2 know

• swaldrop

Posted May 12, 2014 - 05:48 PM

but at $40 for a new set of fibers & steels, I'd go ahead & swap them out while I had it apart...

The cheapest I have seen a kit like this is a $50 Tusk kit and the last one I had in a bike of mine lasted a few motos at best. You get what you pay when it comes to clutches. If you have plates that measure within spec yet are glazed, the Tusk kit is not for you. 

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2014 - 08:27 PM

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of a bargain has passed."

Do yourself a favor; buy OEM Yamaha plates. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swaldrop

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:18 AM

Do yourself a favor; buy OEM Yamaha plates. 

Agreed. I am (to my detriment) a clutch abuser and the only success I have had in getting a clutch to last at all is with OEM kits. Nothing else I have tried has come close.

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:38 AM

Agreed. I am (to my detriment) a clutch abuser and the only success I have had in getting a clutch to last at all is with OEM kits. Nothing else I have tried has come close.

Hinson might be even better, but for practical purposes, OEM is just so much easier to find. :excuseme:

I've mentioned this before, but when I ordered a new clutch through a sponsor, I ended up with a plate set for a YFZ450R quad.  I didn't use the steels anyway, since I have a Rekluse, but the difference in the plate kit was that instead of the 8 5TA-16321-00-00 plates that the YZ450F comes with from '03-'09 (9 in older models), it had two 5TA's and 6 5VY-16321-00-00 plates.  Those are from an R1 (!)  My guess is that they're too aggressive for the aluminum pressure plate and clutch boss, so they bookend them with the 5TA's.  At 450 pounds, the quad puts a lot more on the clutch than a YZ450 does, and the R1?  Don't even ask.

I installed them that way last fall, and they're holding up really well in the Relkuse.  Might try 6 of those next time you do a clutch. 

• swaldrop

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:56 AM

Hinson might be even better, but for practical purposes, OEM is just so much easier to find. :excuseme:

I've mentioned this before, but when I ordered a new clutch through a sponsor, I ended up with a plate set for a YFZ450R quad.  I didn't use the steels anyway, since I have a Rekluse, but the difference in the plate kit was that instead of the 8 5TA-16321-00-00 plates that the YZ450F comes with from '03-'09 (9 in older models), it had two 5TA's and 6 5VY-16321-00-00 plates.  Those are from an R1 (!)  My guess is that they're too aggressive for the aluminum pressure plate and clutch boss, so they bookend them with the 5TA's.  At 450 pounds, the quad puts a lot more on the clutch than a YZ450 does, and the R1?  Don't even ask.

I installed them that way last fall, and they're holding up really well in the Relkuse.  Might try 6 of those next time you do a clutch. 

I have heard stories about how Hinson would be better for me, but man, I just can't bring myself to drop that coin on a test.

I have about 10 or so hours left on my current clutch and plan to try that combo on my next one. I was also going to see about throwing the parts I have left over from the '06 conversion I was running in my '11. I suppose I could just order an extra R1 plate (for a total of 7) and see if I can get it to work. 

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2014 - 08:00 AM

... plan to try that combo on my next one. I was also going to see about throwing the parts I have left over from the '06 conversion I was running in my '11. I suppose I could just order an extra R1 plate (for a total of 7) and see if I can get it to work.

If you do, post your opinion of it.  I've only tried it in the auto clutch so far.  It works smoothly there, but I'd be interested in seeing it in a manual setup.

• swaldrop

Posted May 13, 2014 - 08:03 AM

If you do, post your opinion of it. 

Will do. You are no doubt on to something though as the '14 comes stock with 3 of these plates in the middle already. We'll see what a complete stack in the middle does.

• MESSMAKER

Posted May 13, 2014 - 11:06 AM

Try amsoil, mcf I believe is what I'm using great stuff and my clutch feel really improved after I swapped from yamalube.

• rr558

Posted May 17, 2014 - 06:33 AM

Thanks guys, I bought the KG kit as it had everything in it. The used springs were quite a bit shorter that the new ones and looks like everything was wore out. I put semi siynthetic in this time and did soak the plates in oil. At least now when I start it the back wheel doesn't spin. haha Effin rained all week so the good tracks are closed .

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.