2007 WR 450 Cam Chain Tensioner

7 replies to this topic
  • rippinmachines

Posted May 10, 2014 - 05:54 PM

I have been hunting for an oil leak on my bike and noticed today that the Cam Chain Tensioner is in the wrong way. The label that says UP is facing down. Do you think this would be causing some oil leakage? Is it as easy as unbolting it, flip it over and refastening? Just hoping to have this fixed tomorrow morning. Cheers

• RMK800

Posted May 10, 2014 - 06:02 PM

Yes, unbolt it and then turn it around. You will need to wind it up with a small flat head screw driver bolt it on then release the tension.

• rippinmachines

Posted May 10, 2014 - 07:51 PM

What are the steps I need to take to remove it? There isn't any way that I will mess up the timing, right?

• Schilling Motorworks

Posted May 10, 2014 - 08:10 PM

No you will not mess the timing up just be sure to take the 10mm bolt out and use a small flat head screwdriver to twist the tensioner to the left I believe this will release the tension unbolt the tensioner check the gasket if its good flip it over and reinstall twist tensioner back to right until its very snug and reinstall 10mm bolt with copper washer

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted May 11, 2014 - 06:55 AM

Think your suppose to do it while it's on top dead center. Get a shop manual or download one.

• flyandride

Posted May 11, 2014 - 08:30 AM

I've put mine on upside down and ridden it and it caused no problem.   I don't think it would cause a leak unless the gasket or washer was bad or not torqued correctly.   If you're looking for a leak, wash the bike good and then run it for a while.  

• rippinmachines

Posted May 11, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Took it off and the gasket was ripped. There screw with the copper washer was also not on the right side. Pretty sure oil was leaky out the hole. All good now.

• Schilling Motorworks

Posted May 11, 2014 - 07:50 PM

Awesome good to hear

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.