Need help/ advice on backfiring and flames and lots of smoking out of tail pipe

4 replies to this topic
  • msliker22

Posted May 10, 2014 - 02:35 AM

My 07yz450f I have just bought from a friend and it has been sitting for about a year he busted the water pump and there it sat so I put a new waterpump cover on it and a new plug and fired her up and it is smoking really bad and when I rev it up it almost seems like it governs out and it puts flames out the exaust I pulled the carb off and it didn't look like any dirt or anything was in the jets but I have not put it all back togther to see if it fixed it dose anyone have any other ideas or tips for me and how many turns is suggested for the needle jet and any other advice on how to set my other jets or on cleaning the carb would be much appriciated and also I took the throtle apart on the handle bars and there is two cables what dose each cable do my thoratle now sticks but dose not if I just hook one cable back up can I get away with that or do I need both hooked back up thanks guys

• seacraft69

Posted May 10, 2014 - 05:57 AM

No offense, but that was hard to read. Check out the common threads. Alot of that is covered there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • msliker22

Posted May 10, 2014 - 02:30 PM

Yea I was a rambling foo haha

• rgray556

Posted May 12, 2014 - 07:10 PM

Make sure the carb vents are clean.  The float wont work right if they are plugged.  It will run rich, like what you are describing.  Sitting that long it is a good possibility.

• msliker22

Posted May 13, 2014 - 01:32 AM

Pulled the carb and cleaned the heck outa it problem solved she's running like a raped ape this is my first four storms couldn't believe how much work to just yard the carb off haha come on I have to pull the shock lol thanks guys!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.