What weight oil do I need at the store for the 426?

14 replies to this topic
  • underground-mpyre

Posted May 09, 2014 - 01:02 PM

Going to the store to get oil, what weight do I need for the Wr426?

• lemke88

Posted May 09, 2014 - 01:37 PM

Your going to get a few differnt answers and if you hit up the search, you'll find this topic has been brought up before.

Personally, I use 10w-40 mineral oil year round down here in Texas for my WR400f.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 09, 2014 - 01:40 PM

Any Jasco-MA rated oil will work fine

• underground-mpyre

Posted May 09, 2014 - 01:51 PM

Rotella or Mobil1 10-40 all right?

How many miles on synthetic should I change it?

• lemke88

Posted May 09, 2014 - 01:58 PM

I like Mobil1 better personally, but either will get the job done just fine.

Personally, I change my WR400f's oil every four rides just because I'm anal about keeping my old bike in good condition. I would shoot for about 200 miles per oil change.. I think the owners manual says something like 500-600 miles, but that seems a bit high.

Edited by lemke88, May 09, 2014 - 01:59 PM.

• underground-mpyre

Posted May 09, 2014 - 02:32 PM

Ok, thanks!

• lemke88

Posted May 09, 2014 - 02:44 PM

No problem. As long as your not putting more than 500 miles on your engine between oil changes, you won't do any significant damage. You'll find most people are changing their WRs oil between 100-300 miles though. It never hurts to air on the safe side. 

Also, if you're racing, you may even want to change your oil in even shorter intervals. I'm a trail guy myself so take this with a grain of salt, but I believe it's pretty common to change oil after every other race, and sometime after every race.

Edited by lemke88, May 09, 2014 - 02:47 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mch

Posted May 09, 2014 - 03:09 PM

I have been using Rotella T6 in the summer months, and Rotella T Triple in the winter.  Sam's club sells a pack of 6, 1 gallon jugs of the Triple T for like $75.  Like the others stated, most of us are changing the oil pretty frequently so it's not a big deal between using the full or semi synthetic.  In Las Vegas, I'm dealing with higher temps in the summer (Though we ride real early morning to beat the heat).

If you use Mobil 1, make sure you use one that is Jasco-MA.  I see they have oil that is not suitable for use with a wet clutch.

Edited by mch, May 09, 2014 - 03:19 PM.

• 67imp

Posted May 09, 2014 - 03:22 PM

rotella syn in my 02 426.

• underground-mpyre

Posted May 10, 2014 - 07:45 AM

I have Rotella 5w-40 synthtic now.

How often do I need to change the filter if I am changing it every 200-300 miles?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 10, 2014 - 11:52 AM

I have Rotella 5w-40 synthtic now.

How often do I need to change the filter if I am changing it every 200-300 miles?

Every oil change

As the oil filter gets dirty, if slows the flow of oil

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, May 10, 2014 - 12:11 PM.

• Alstar450

Posted May 10, 2014 - 06:09 PM

I never use any automotive oil in my Yamahas for the simple fact that the friction modifiers and additive packages in automotive oils are not designed to be used in motorcycles that share oil with the transmission. Those modifiers can cause issues with the wet clutch systems of motorcycles and cause premature slippage and wear of the clutches on bikes. In models like Honda CRF's that have separate engine and tranny oil compartments, using automotive oils for the motor is fine, but I wouldn't do it in a Yami... Walmart sells a multiple motorcycle specific oils that will work fine. If you have any issues finding bike oil just go to a motorcycle shop.

That being said I'm a huge fan of Maxima Oils (Ultra 4 is my fav) and all of the Yamalube stuff is very high quality too.

• mch

Posted May 10, 2014 - 09:08 PM

I never use any automotive oil in my Yamahas for the simple fact that the friction modifiers and additive packages in automotive oils are not designed to be used in motorcycles that share oil with the transmission. Those modifiers can cause issues with the wet clutch systems of motorcycles and cause premature slippage and wear of the clutches on bikes. In models like Honda CRF's that have separate engine and tranny oil compartments, using automotive oils for the motor is fine, but I wouldn't do it in a Yami... Walmart sells a multiple motorcycle specific oils that will work fine. If you have any issues finding bike oil just go to a motorcycle shop.

That being said I'm a huge fan of Maxima Oils (Ultra 4 is my fav) and all of the Yamalube stuff is very high quality too.

Rotella is Motorcycle certified so it really doesn't matter if it's primarily marketed for the automotive market.  Maxima and Yamalube could also be used in a car; it doesn't make it any less of an oil.  I bet there isn't much difference on quality, but a lot of mark-up on the price. 

• Alstar450

Posted May 10, 2014 - 09:48 PM

Yes I use T6 in my Dodge Cummins truck and although the bottle does not say JASO, that particular oil does meet specs. My post was more of a generalized post to just be cautious when using automotive oils in wet clutch motorcycle applications. More than one person has found out the hard way that their oil was contributing to excessive slippage. Sorry for the confusion.

• mch

Posted May 10, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Yes I use T6 in my Dodge Cummins truck and although the bottle does not say JASO, that particular oil does meet specs. My post was more of a generalized post to just be cautious when using automotive oils in wet clutch motorcycle applications. More than one person has found out the hard way that their oil was contributing to excessive slippage. Sorry for the confusion.

Actually the T6 does list Jaso MA (I just looked at a bottle and there have been threads on it for a couple years), but you are right about many automotive oils and the friction modifiers that can screw your clutch.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.