Mikuni TM42 on BRP

7 replies to this topic
  • atreiou

Posted January 19, 2004 - 08:26 AM

I need an Information for a Friend of mine.
He want to install a Mikuni TM42 carb on his XR 650R,
but He need to know the code of the needle and the jetting sizes
Because the carb is an HSR (originally thinked for an HD application) but is ever a TM42 carb.. or not ?

• Dutch

Posted January 19, 2004 - 12:35 PM

You may want to try Sudco -

• BWB63

Posted January 19, 2004 - 01:36 PM

I have put this carburetor (HSR 42) on my bike for a short time and now have the TM40mm on it. I ran the HSR with 140 main, 25 pilot, 1.2 air jet, I went one step down from the needle jet and needle. Same basic setup that I have now on the TM40 27.5 pilot, 1.2 air jet, 140 main, y-4 needle jet, 9OJY-1 needle. The HSR 42 had a little to much of a pump jet. It ran a little wet (didn't burn all the fuel) If I had a cam and the 680 kit, I would go with this caruretor or the 45mm HSR.

• atreiou

Posted January 20, 2004 - 12:28 AM

It seems that the HSR 42 is a little big for a stock XR 650R... mhh is not a good news for my friend... :)
thanks for the answers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted January 20, 2004 - 05:36 PM

You can change the pump jet and make it work. But, you have to run holes in the filter cover, no back fire screen and a header and free flowing muffler would help. Then it will be tunable. My bike is about as free flowing as I can get it with out engine work.

• atreiou

Posted January 21, 2004 - 12:17 AM

My Friend have, an "HRC" exhaust (built on HRC schemes on the HRC kit manual), holes in airbox, open air filter and CRD collectors. do you know the number of the pump jet that he need ?

thanks again :)

• BWB63

Posted January 21, 2004 - 05:26 PM

No, I didn't change the pump jet because, I went with the TM40. It shure did hit hard with the 42HSR! I get the jets from a Harly shop.

• ThunderChicken

Posted January 22, 2004 - 03:22 PM

urgh, disgusting. you have to go into a harley shop? poor soul.

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.