Most economical way to ride?

2 replies to this topic
  • avlisj

Posted May 09, 2014 - 07:33 AM

I'd like to hear some opinions. Is it better to lug the bike around the trails. Staying low in the rpms or keeping it high In the revs. Shifting a lot.
Staying down a gear your using usually only half the throttle. But higher in revs
Lugging around usually using full range of throttle. Third gear all day long
These 450 s have so much all around power it's easy to be lazy and stay in one gear all day
Im used to a 2T 250. Always shifting and working to stay in power.
Also when pulling a higher gear from a slow roll there is a lot of chatter. Hopefully just chain slap but is it also some kind of valve chatter that is hurting the bike. My riding buddies with 450s say they make a lot of clatter. Not to worry
Got 20 hrs on the new wr still haven't checked valves. My bad.

Love to hear from ya

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted May 09, 2014 - 08:03 AM

The amount of throttle opening, rather than rev's is biggest influence on mpg

Large throttle openings at low rev's in high gears will make the final drive drive clatter

Edited by GuyGraham, May 09, 2014 - 08:03 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 09, 2014 - 09:51 AM

It doesn't really matter.

Staying in the most efficient part of the power is what the motor is designed for. 

Going below or above that is harder on the motor.

You are thinking too much.........

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.