14 Clutch slipping

5 replies to this topic
  • VetRacer75

Posted May 09, 2014 - 01:24 AM

Hi guys.
Recently got a 14 450 pre owned 28 hours.
After 2 rides the clutch started to slip in 3 rd gear.
Pulled the clutch measured springs and they had squashed down to 47mm free length.
Should be 50 mm.
The insides of the boss legs have got some decent wear grooves replicating the spring body.
Also some spring wear on the pressure plate in that spring area.
However the rest of the clutch looks unworn steels and fibres, etc.
Couldn't get 14 springs (orange) so got the 13's, ( green) same free length, and feels good now.
Was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem, and wonder if the change to a stiffer springs in the 14 has caused premature shrinkage?
Chris.

• seacraft69

Posted May 09, 2014 - 03:42 AM

Premature shrinkage?! Sounds like you should see your doctor. Sorry couldn't help myself. Lol.

• swaldrop

Posted May 09, 2014 - 05:35 AM

If I get 28 hours on a clutch, I consider that a win. I put a new clutch in my '14 at just over 20 hours. If the previous owner was a clutch abuser then 47mm springs sound about right.

That being said, new springs will only do so much to prolong the life of your clutch. My friction plates almost always measure within spec, but they are normally cooked pretty good. What you will probably find is that the clutch slips like crazy when the bike is cold, then after a lap or two feel totally normal. You may want to get some friction plates on order to be safe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • VetRacer75

Posted May 09, 2014 - 05:53 PM

If I get 28 hours on a clutch, I consider that a win. I put a new clutch in my '14 at just over 20 hours. If the previous owner was a clutch abuser then 47mm springs sound about right.

That being said, new springs will only do so much to prolong the life of your clutch. My friction plates almost always measure within spec, but they are normally cooked pretty good. What you will probably find is that the clutch slips like crazy when the bike is cold, then after a lap or two feel totally normal. You may want to get some friction plates on order to be safe.

Thanks might do that.
Do you just go genuine with the friction plates?
Did 120 hours on my 11 with zero issues, just wonder if related to the new stiffer springs on the 14.

• swaldrop

Posted May 09, 2014 - 07:25 PM

I use OEM only. With the exception of a complete Hinson clutch, I have tried just about everything else out there. My experience has been that Genuine Yamaha friction plates will last longer than anything else.

• swaldrop

Posted May 09, 2014 - 07:28 PM

Oh, and there is nothing different as far as durability in regard to the '14. I too had an '11 and the clutch life is on par.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.