New 2013 WR450....and Phil Andrew maps question.

9 replies to this topic
  • highxj

Posted May 06, 2014 - 05:24 PM

First of all I'd like to thank all of you for the wealth of info I've gleaned from this forum.  After a 20+ year layoff from dirt riding, I decided I ought to let my 14 yr old son experience the joy of the sport, and I got us a couple of bikes.  A CRF230f for him and a new 2013 WR450 for me.

After purchasing this bike I saw pretty fast that it would be best to jump in with both feet and let her run as designed, so before it had 5 miles on it I added an FMF slip on, the Comp ECU/screw, and picked up the programmer.  Just today, I emailed Phil Andrew and obtained his maps as shown on his YouTube vid, and of course I've studied everything on the "Maps" thread here as well.

I have a question on Phil's #7 map.  I have NOT tried this map, but it looks so peculiar that I am wondering if anyone else has tested it.  If you aren't familiar with his #7, it looks like this.

-4 +4 -4   +2 -5 +2

-4 +4 -4   +2 -5 +2

-4 +4 -4   +2 -5 +2

Yamaha advises to not increase/decrease more than 3 units of fuel or timing on adjacent 'cells'.  This map, at 6500 rpm jumps 8 'units', adding a whopping 24% more fuel and at the same time retards the timing 7 degrees.  And reverses it at 9000 revs. 

Now, I'm a complete newb at this and in fact have just basically ridden my bike up and down the street briefly with the default map and the 'FMF' map.  It seems like this map would behave really strangely, but I don't know.

Comments?

• GP1K

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:25 AM

Yeah that's about the goofiest map I've seen. I fail to see how that's going to work well at all, unless you're trying to simulate a very 'pipey' two stroke hit? Personally I wouldn't do it for the reasons Yamaha gave.

• vlxjim

Posted May 07, 2014 - 10:34 AM

Not sure what your after or what type of riding your doing. But if you changed your muffler you can run the FMF the #9 or give my map a try. It's in the maps only thread. My map (vlxjim map) gives great all around performance. Your bike will have power, run smoother with trackable power and run cooler. I will tell you that you should get a hold of a FI tool to adjust the CO level to 10-15. Some go as high as 20 Yamaha is telling dealers to bump up to 7 this is still to low. I run at 15. You could try that map but (-4 fuel) at the hit and (-5 timing) down the mid is not the best way to control the hard hits. Try the FMF map and then put my map in and see what you like.

Jim

Edited by vlxjim, May 07, 2014 - 01:58 PM.

• mebgardner

Posted May 07, 2014 - 11:30 AM

Not sure what your after or what type of riding your doing. But if you changed your muffler you can run the FMF the #9 or give my map a try. It's in the maps only thread. My map (vlxjim map) gives great all around performance. Your bike will have power, run smoother with trackable power and run cooler. I will tell you that you should get a hold of a FI tool to adjust the CO level to 10-15. Some go as high as 20 Yamaha is telling dealers to bump up to 7 this is still to low. I run at 15. You could try that map but (-4 fuel) at the hit and (-5 timing) down the mid is not the best way to control the hard hits. Try the FMF map and then put my map in and what you like.

Jim

+1.

I would add that, after a 20 year hiatus, and then to jump on this *race horse* (and I mean *thorobred*), you should think very carefully about your choices here.

There are some unforgiving consequences to the map chosen by a "new guy", and I'm talking about fractured body parts here from unintended "whiskey throttle".

I very much recommend vlxjim's map for a new guy, he's giving you good advice.

• highxj

Posted May 07, 2014 - 04:26 PM

+1.

I would add that, after a 20 year hiatus, and then to jump on this *race horse* (and I mean *thorobred*), you should think very carefully about your choices here.

There are some unforgiving consequences to the map chosen by a "new guy", and I'm talking about fractured body parts here from unintended "whiskey throttle".

I very much recommend vlxjim's map for a new guy, he's giving you good advice.

Point taken.  I actually have vlxjim's map already loaded onto the programmer, as well as the FMF and #9.  The dealer tells me that they have the FI diag tool with the proper lead, so I'll be hitting them up for a C0 adjustment.  Mostly.....I need to put in some saddle time and see what my current capabilities are.  It does NOT feel like it's been 20 years though, fun stuff. 

I haven't seen much talk about the default "0's" map.  Where does it fall on the performance/powerband scale?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vlxjim

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:11 PM

All 0's is the base map of the Comp ECU. Its a starting point for the maps to build off of. It works with the stock muffler but still a little lean and hits a little hard off the hit. These 450's can make a lot of power and to have a hard switch like hit off the bottom is not so good when your needing controlled trackable power. BTW changing the CO level helps blend idle with the lower part of the map. And do make sure the Idle is set to1900 - 2100 RPM's. I like 1950.

Edited by vlxjim, May 08, 2014 - 05:44 PM.

• mebgardner

Posted May 08, 2014 - 03:28 PM

+1 Thanks Jim.

I'm gonna copy that over to the "maps only" thread.  Good info!

• highxj

Posted May 08, 2014 - 04:07 PM

Yes, thanks to both of you.  I've spoken to my dealer and he has the FI diag tool.  We discussed it today and he actually knows what I'm talking about and is going to adjust my CO setting free of charge.  I'm going to be riding at 7-10,000' mostly.  Right now, my bike starts very easily hot or cold so I'm thinking of just bumping up the CO setting to 7 or so and see how that works........

• Navaho6

Posted May 08, 2014 - 05:51 PM

My favorite maps are the CDR Yamaha Motocross, Yamaha MX, and FMF, in that order. The first two are very similar. FMF map is a little softer on the bottom. The MX maps allow you to pull 3rd gear at lower rpms which is how I like to ride most of the time.

• vlxjim

Posted May 08, 2014 - 05:52 PM

If your 7-10,000' I would run 7-10 on the CO. And try this map first.  The ECU does adjust for altitude but this map will help it out. I ride at 2-3500" most of the time but also ride up at 7000'+ when I'm at my mountain home.

Vlxjim Map leaner

Fuel         Timing

2  3  3      0   0   0

2  4  2     -2  -1  0

2  3  2     -2  -2  0

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.