Need FI tool for '13 WR

22 replies to this topic
  • 270winchester

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:25 AM

Anybody willing to loan me a fuel injection tool so that I can adjust my CO level?  I can't find one locally, and I don't particularly want to pay $200 for something I will only use once.

I am willing to pay shipping and a reasonable fee for its use.  I am currently in Texas.

Either PM me or post if you are interested.

Thank you

• woods-rider

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:33 AM

X2, I would love to "rent" one for a week or so.

• mc1hd

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:54 AM

Local dealer fleeced me out over two hundred dollars to set the c/o and still didn't get it right.  This was quite some time ago just after people were starting to figure the wr out and the dealer really didn't have a clue but had the tool.  Live and learn, some dealers are better than others but Yamaha in my opinon should bite the bullet and do this for its customers for free.

• woods-rider

Posted May 06, 2014 - 10:23 AM

Local dealer fleeced me out over two hundred dollars to set the c/o and still didn't get it right.  This was quite some time ago just after people were starting to figure the wr out and the dealer really didn't have a clue but had the tool.  Live and learn, some dealers are better than others but Yamaha in my opinon should bite the bullet and do this for its customers for free.

Yamaha won't do it because they designed it this way to meet the CA green sticker requirement BS.

• mc1hd

Posted May 06, 2014 - 12:05 PM

I understand your reasoning about the carb/green sticker but most people that purchase this bike also buy the comp ecu, tuner, pipe etc. which requires the idle c/o to be readjusted.  Yamaha rep's are aware of it and I would think most dealers are as well,  good dealers that will take care of you are hard to come by these day's.

• woods-rider

Posted May 06, 2014 - 12:28 PM

I understand your reasoning about the carb/green sticker but most people that purchase this bike also buy the comp ecu, tuner, pipe etc. which requires the idle c/o to be readjusted.  Yamaha rep's are aware of it and I would think most dealers are as well,  good dealers that will take care of you are hard to come by these day's.

I totally agree. It's BS that just because CA needs strict emissions to be able to ride year-round, the rest of us get stuck with crappy tuned bikes.

I would bet that 90% of the Yamaha dealers don't know about the issue and 95% don't know how to fix the issue.

• 270winchester

Posted May 06, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Thanks y'all, let's keep this alive.  Hopefully someone will show up that will help us out and rent us their tool.  It's disappointing these bikes and even the comp ECU comes programmed this way.  Does anyone know if the yz450fs need this value changed too?  I doubt they do.

• Navaho6

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:43 PM

I am willing to pay shipping and a reasonable fee for its use.  I am currently in Texas.

Either PM me or post if you are interested.

Thank you

I might rent mine out.  I am in Louisiana.  What would you consider a reasonable fee?   I could take a paypal "security deposit" from you and then refund you the difference when I get the tool back. 

• woods-rider

Posted May 06, 2014 - 09:02 PM

I might rent mine out. I am in Louisiana. What would you consider a reasonable fee? I could take a paypal "security deposit" from you and then refund you the difference when I get the tool back.

Something like $20 or so for a few days use, plus we pay shipping? I bet you could pay for the tool in short order like this.

What do you think?

2012 WR450 - Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee

• mc1hd

Posted May 06, 2014 - 10:03 PM

What is the baseball setting for the majority wr450f owners at this point with mod's (fmf slip on and map on fuel, ignition al 0's. snorkel out)?  9 was at first thought  but  have read this may not be enough on c/o.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 270winchester

Posted May 07, 2014 - 05:00 AM

I might rent mine out.  I am in Louisiana.  What would you consider a reasonable fee?   I could take a paypal "security deposit" from you and then refund you the difference when I get the tool back.

Yes, I also think $20 for 1 week plus shipping both ways is reasonable. I am okay with a paypal deposit also. If you are ok with doing this let me know. Send me a pm with your email and we can get it going.

Thank you

• funt

Posted May 07, 2014 - 06:38 AM

What is the baseball setting for the majority wr450f owners at this point with mod's (fmf slip on and map on fuel, ignition al 0's. snorkel out)?  9 was at first thought  but  have read this may not be enough on c/o.

Corkster raised his to 20 to get to 5% CO reading.  Someone said that Yamaha recommends raising it to 7.  I'd have to try it on 20 but I think gas mileage would suffer too much in my case.  I'd probably end up compromising and setting it closer to 7.

• woods-rider

Posted May 07, 2014 - 06:58 AM

Yes, I also think $20 for 1 week plus shipping both ways is reasonable. I am okay with a paypal deposit also. If you are ok with doing this let me know. Send me a pm with your email and we can get it going.

Thank you

Put me next on the list.

If Navaho is willing maybe you could ship it straight to me when you are done (after I make security deposit to Navaho of course). I can notify Navaho when I receive it so he can refund your portion and I can ship it on to the next guy and so on and so forth. This would save on time and money for everyone.

• guru

Posted May 07, 2014 - 07:33 AM

My dealer loaned me the tool and I had to make a short jumper lead to green wire in the plug which I learned on this forum. I set CO to 10 and it works perfectly. I've only ridden like 50 miles so far. So nice to have it start like a new bike should. It also jumps off idle like scalded dog. I greatly appreciate all the info shared on this topic! ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399476630.536565.jpg

• mebgardner

Posted May 07, 2014 - 11:55 AM

OK, I'm willing to try giving this service as well.

I'm in Tucson, AZ.

I have one I'll rent for $20/week (7 days/wk), $15 each additional week (7 days/wk) after that, to a max of 3 weeks.  After three weeks (21 days total), you've bought it and forfit the entire deposit, or you give me a *really* good reason you're late, and it's *up to me* to say yay or nay regarding deposit forfeit. Absolutely No Whining.

$350.00 is the paypal deposit before it ships.

You pay shipping both ways.

The deposit is high because of the PITA it was to get this tool to begin with, the shipping from India was $50.00, and it was more PITA to get it wired to work correctly. Now it works fine.

I refund the deposit minus rental charges, and minus shipping, upon it's return *in working order*.

If I test it and it no longer works, you bought it and I ship it back to you. I keep the remainder of the deposit.

Rental begins when you receive it, date confirmed via tracking. Rental ends when I receive it back.

Feedback occurs here, on this forum.

Requests for rental are first come, first served, via PM to me. Do not attempt to queue up or make a request via posting here. Valid requests come only via PM to me.

I'll notify via this forum when it's out on rental, and when its available again.  I'm not going to post the rental queue (whose got it where and how long). Thats just too much like work.

It will be tested / re-tested each time I get it back / before it goes out again.  It will never ship untested, or broken. Guaranteed (it's the only guarantee I'm willing to make).

If you guys are agreeable to all this, then I'll make mine available beginning last week of May.

I think I'll make this a separate thread...

• woods-rider

Posted May 07, 2014 - 12:02 PM

OK, I'm willing to try giving this service as well.

I'm in Tucson, AZ.

I have one I'll rent for $20/week (7 days/wk), $15 each additional week (7 days/wk) after that, to a max of 3 weeks.  After three weeks (21 days total), you've bought it and forfit the entire deposit, or you give me a *really* good reason you're late, and it's *up to me* to say yay or nay regarding deposit forfeit. Absolutely No Whining.

$350.00 is the paypal deposit before it ships.

You pay shipping both ways.

The deposit is high because of the PITA it was to get this tool to begin with, the shipping from India was $50.00, and it was more PITA to get it wired to work correctly. Now it works fine.

I refund the deposit minus rental charges, and minus shipping, upon it's return *in working order*.

If I test it and it no longer works, you bought it and I ship it back to you. I keep the remainder of the deposit.

Rental begins when you receive it, date confirmed via tracking. Rental ends when I receive it back.

Feedback occurs here, on this forum.

Requests for rental are first come, first served, via PM to me. Do not attempt to queue up or make a request via posting here. Valid requests come only via PM to me.

I'll notify via this forum when it's out on rental, and when its available again.  I'm not going to post the rental queue (whose got it where and how long). Thats just too much like work.

It will be tested / re-tested each time I get it back / before it goes out again.  It will never ship untested, or broken. Guaranteed (it's the only guarantee I'm willing to make).

If you guys are agreeable to all this, then I'll make mine available beginning last week of May.

I think I'll make this a separate thread...

PM sent

Could you also maybe type up a simple set of instructions that you could either PM to each person or print out and ship with the unit? It seems like some guys have had trouble with getting it to work, so a set of simple instructions specific to the WR would probably make turnaround time quicker and less chance of screwing up some setting on both the tool and our bikes.

Edited by woods-rider, May 07, 2014 - 12:06 PM.

• mebgardner

Posted May 07, 2014 - 12:14 PM

PM sent

Could you also maybe type up a simple set of instructions that you could either PM to each person or print out and ship with the unit? It seems like some guys have had trouble with getting it to work, so a set of simple instructions specific to the WR would probably make turnaround time quicker and less chance of screwing up some setting on both the tool and our bikes.

Yup, will do.

• Navaho6

Posted May 07, 2014 - 06:54 PM

I'll do $20 per week rent from the time you get it until I get it back.  Renter pays shipping both ways.  $180 deposit which would be refunded (minus the rent, shipping charge and $5.52 paypal transaction fee) when unit is returned in same condition as sent.   Send me a PM if interested.  Mine is set up with the oem-style plug on the green wire.  Just plug it into the ecu and connect the battery clamps.  Instructions will be provided.

Btw, I set mine at 10

Edited by Navaho6, May 08, 2014 - 05:21 PM.

• highxj

Posted May 08, 2014 - 06:51 AM

I'll do $20 per week rent.  Renter pays shipping both ways.  $180 deposit which would be refunded (minus the rent) when unit is returned in same condition as sent.   Send me a PM if interested.  Mine is set up with the oem-style plug on the green wire.  Just plug it into the ecu and connect the battery clamps.  Instructions will be provided.

Btw, I set mine at 9. 

Sent you a PM last night sir.....

• Navaho6

Posted May 08, 2014 - 04:44 PM

Sending mine to Winchester first.

Here are the instructions:

1. Have the ignition button turned OFF!

2. Unplug the black quick-connectors on the ecu and plug in the green wire connector from the diagnostic tool into the ecu connector.  These tools do not come with a quick disconnect for the WR450F.  I had to buy a Sumitomo 3-pin HM 090 male end. -

http://www.cycleterminal.com/hm-sealed-series-090.html

3. Hook the alligator clamps from the diagnostic tool to the bikes battery.  Display on tool will read "connecting" but it is not really connecting.  You must complete step 4 below before the tool will do anything.  Do not press any buttons until you get to step 4. 

4. While holding the "Mode" button down on the tool, turn on the bikes ignition button and then release the "Mode" button. The word "Diag" now shows on tool's display.  Do NOT start the engine at any point while the tool is connected.

5. Press the ^ (up) button.  "CO" shows up on tool's display

6.Press the "Mode" button . "C1" shows on display.

7. Press "Mode" button again.  "C1"  shows up with a "0" next to it.  Now you are ready to set the CO Level.

8. Pressed the ^ (up) button and display of "0" increases to "1"

9. Continued pressing the ^ button until you get the desired CO setting. The new CO level is now set.  ( I went with a setting of 10).  I have seen it reported that a setting of 17 has resulted in a 5% CO reading on the exhaust. I've been told that this is too rich.  

10. Turn the bikes ignition button off.

11. Disconnect alligator clamps from battery.

12. Disconnect tool from ecu

13. plug ecu connectors back together.  

14. You can now crank your bike NEVER reconnect the tool with the engine running nor with the ignition on.  

Once you get past step 9, the changes are in the ecu.  Repeat steps 1-13 to reset CO to different level.

Edited by Navaho6, May 08, 2014 - 05:01 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.