Which valve shim kit?

4 replies to this topic
  • jjk

Posted May 05, 2014 - 03:57 PM

I need to get a valve shim kit for my 08' 450. I live 5 mins from Rocky Mountain. It looks like they offer kits in two brands, Hot Cams & Pro X.. Are they 6's, or does anybody have a preference on one vs the other and if so, why?

• jjk

Posted May 07, 2014 - 02:31 PM

TTT

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NitrousR1

Posted May 07, 2014 - 02:44 PM

I like the hot cams kits personally. I prefer to buy the whole set, some Guys just measure and only buy the single shim they need. I like having the kit because the shims fit most Japanese 450's

• jjk

Posted May 07, 2014 - 07:23 PM

I like the hot cams kits personally. I prefer to buy the whole set, some Guys just measure and only buy the single shim they need. I like having the kit because the shims fit most Japanese 450's

Good enough for me. Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2014 - 06:16 AM

If you work on a big enough number of different brands of Japanese bikes, then the full kit works out. The problem with them for guys who only own a YZF is that you pay for shims that you'll never use by doing so, and you only get 3shims of each size. They make refill packs for less than half the price of the full kit, and these have 4 each of six sizes. The one spanning 1.75 - 2.05 will cover 90% of most bike's needs for a first adjustment, and adding the kit covering 1.50 - 1.70 will cover most YZF's even after a valve job. The cost of both these kits together is less than that of the full kit, and you have more shims in sizes you'll actually be able to use.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.