04 450 Carb

4 replies to this topic
  • G-BRO

Posted May 05, 2014 - 03:44 PM

I posted a while back that my buddies 450 carb is in trouble. The tip of the fuel screw broke off and is lodged in the carb. I've tried to get the tip out with little luck so far. I've used a 90 degree pick and a safety pin to try and push the tip back down through the hole from the carb throat side. We have been very delicate as to not scar or distort the taper/shape of the hole.

With little luck so far I'm down to two more ideas

1- Use this carb for spare parts and buy another used one on EBay or something.

2- Disassemble the carb from the mid-body so I can get a straight shot and better visibility of the hole.

My question is, I've been told taking the mid-body apart is carb suicide because the gasket is nearly impossible to find. However, it looks like JD Jetting makes this replacement gasket for this carb. If I get the tip out and replace this gasket with a new one do I stand a chance of saving this thing? Any suggestions?

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2014 - 07:28 PM

Yes.  Get the gasket first, though.  Of course in this case that caution isn't really so important, is it? 

You may need a "security Torx" bit to remove the screws. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • G-BRO

Posted May 05, 2014 - 09:39 PM

Thanks Gray. Assuming I can just pick a security torx up at a hardware star? Ebay the best bet for a used carb if this doesn't work?

• G-BRO

Posted May 05, 2014 - 09:42 PM

Correction- Hardware Store!

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:25 AM

Thanks Gray. Assuming I can just pick a security torx up at a hardware star? Ebay the best bet for a used carb if this doesn't work?

"wherever fine tools are sold" ;)

If it comes down to a new one, try for an '05 or later.  Subtle upgrades there.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.