Flywheel weight installation problem

16 replies to this topic
  • czykone

Posted May 05, 2014 - 08:52 AM

I just tried installing a 9oz flywheel weight on my 11 YZ 450, now the bike won't start. I took the side case off and didn't see any loose wires. I never touched them so really shouldn't be the problem. Anyone have any idea what I did wrong. When i kick it it will make a sound like it wants to start but doesn't and then a few more kicks and it will pop.

• ekulb14

Posted May 05, 2014 - 09:42 AM

did you cahange anything else while you were at it, spark plug in .. gas open.. kill switch wires look good?  changing just the fly wheel should not cause any running /starting issue.

• ratom98

Posted May 05, 2014 - 11:43 AM

what brand flywheel? did it come with a spacer for the cover? are there any marks on the inside of your ignition cover?

• czykone

Posted May 05, 2014 - 02:51 PM

It was a steahly flywheel weight. And I didn't touch anything else. After it didn't start i did go ahead and put in a new plug. Also I didn't notice it making contact with the case anywhere

• ratom98

Posted May 05, 2014 - 09:36 PM

i thought all the stealthy's come with a spacer for the ignition cover

• nomadrifter

Posted May 06, 2014 - 01:49 AM

Check that you didn't accidentally pull the spark plug wire loose from the little screw in the boot. I did that when I floated the ground on my stator and spent forever rechecking wiring.

• czykone

Posted May 06, 2014 - 02:05 AM

No it's just a weight that attaches to the backside of the flywheel.

• Mtrain730

Posted May 06, 2014 - 03:03 AM

Yes I have one on a 2012 its just a glue on ring no spacer needed. I'm no expert but I put the same weight on my 2012 and unless you did some thing too wires under the cover it has too be unrelated too the fly wheel weight installation. There isn't really any thing else too mess up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:34 AM

its just a glue on ring no spacer needed.

Glue?  On an engine with an 11,500 RPM rev limit??

It don't sound wise to me.

• BGoyins

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:59 AM

I have the same weight on two bikes. The weights are epoxied on with an involved cleaning and surface prep procedure. They are also cured in your oven. There are also some set screws that are tightened and epoxied in place. CZY is it possible you didn't get the flywheel keyed on the crank correctly? That would screw up the ignition timing.

• zotis777

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:21 AM

That one makes sense, is the flywheel on right? If you didn't get it on the woodruff correctly it might just be spinning in the crank

• Mtrain730

Posted May 06, 2014 - 09:31 AM

Glue? On an engine with an 11,500 RPM rev limit??

It don't sound wise to me.

lol they didn't send Elmer's. it made me nervous too but I have no had issues yet. Am I too assume you have heard of these glue on or epoxy on fly wheel weights and you don't approve gray.

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Haven't until now, because I've never used a Steahly flywheel weight, and I wouldn't. 

I fly in airplanes that are glued together, and my trusty old carbon fiber and aluminum road bicycle is glued together, but those are both done under carefully controlled lab conditions.  I have no confidence whatsoever in a DIY situation in which I'm to glue a flywheel weight on.  None at all.  Maybe I'm just too old for that.

• czykone

Posted May 06, 2014 - 11:14 AM

I'm beginning to wonder if somehow the woodruff key came out when I put the flywheel on he crank. I haven't pulled it back off. Thinking I will just drop it off at the dealer

• zotis777

Posted May 06, 2014 - 05:06 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if somehow the woodruff key came out when I put the flywheel on he crank. I haven't pulled it back off. Thinking I will just drop it off at the dealer

Please don't do that, there's not much it can be, do it yourself

• czykone

Posted May 06, 2014 - 05:09 PM

I really hate the thought of paying someone to do what should have been and easy task but obviously I managed to mess it up...

• czykone

Posted May 17, 2014 - 09:31 AM

O'kay, so I took it to the shop they tried tot start it and it would nt start. So they took off the side case couldn't see anything wrong put it back together and it fired right up. It's a mystery! Cost me $41. At least it runs now. Really smoothed out the power delivery.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.