Could I be that lucky?

7 replies to this topic
  • Sanch

Posted January 14, 2002 - 06:59 AM

There ARE days when you drop your buttered bread, and it actually lands butter side up. I was finishing up an oil change on my 400f when I loosened the oil supply bolt that holds the oil line giong into the head. I do this to make sure that I'm getting oil to the motor and didn't screw up the oil filter. I thought I heard something like angels singing, but I just disregarded it and kept on with the project at hand. As I was tightening up the bolt, I felt that old feeling of the head snapping off of the bolt. If you work on anything motor related, at some point, you will experience this.

It was at this time I started added up the potential costs and/or the time involved in either getting the bolt extracted from the head. Neither of which I was excited about...to say the least. As I started to back out the bolt, I was amazed that it was complete and not just half of it. When I inspected it further, I noticed that the bolt had indeed broken, but not completely in half yet. There was a crack in between the threads that followed the threads almost all the way around, stopping just short of completely around it. I could even see where the last part of the thread was distorted and ready to snap in half.

It was at this point that I realized this must be the day to buy a lottery ticket! It wasn't until a few minutes later, after I finished performing the pee-pee dance around the garage, that I found my son's bike had a flat front tire. Not wanting to ruin my mood from what just happened, I was thankful it wasn't the rear...the front is much easier to fix.

Some days, things really could be a lot worse...of course I still didn't win the lottery!

• bassr_#186

Posted January 14, 2002 - 07:10 AM

Exactly the same thing happened to me! As I was tightening the oil line back up, it just didn't feel right. I no longer back the bolt out to verify oil flow. I read an earlier posts on this topic and the majority agreed (if I remember correctly) that this step wasn't necessary.

• MX_Tuner

Posted January 14, 2002 - 07:15 AM

You can remove the bolt that goes in the head right in front of the oil line to check oil flow. This bolt has an 8mm head and is meant for checking exactly that. I don't check it after an oil change but I do after any motor work.

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 14, 2002 - 07:53 AM

Do all of you who have broken the bolts use a torque wrench? I'm curious if these are breaking even at the specified torque.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sanch

Posted January 14, 2002 - 08:58 AM

:) Of course I use a torque wrench every time...NOT! I wish I could say that I probably didn't cause this to happen, but I didn't think I would have a problem with just a small wrench. I guess I should have had only one bowl of Wheaties for breakfast.

My torque wrench is not an expensive one and I don't know where I could get it calibrated here in Tallahassee, FL. I just use if for the major things, hoping that if it's off by a few percent it will still be within an acceptable range. Admittely, I know it's wrong, but I often use the torque wrench God gave me. So, anybody want to drop their bike off at my place so I can work on it for ya?

• MAD_POTTER

Posted January 14, 2002 - 10:43 PM

When I got my 426 I went to a Checker auto parts and bought a torque wrench. After snapping off two oil line bolts I took the POS back to the store and got a refund. Went to Sears and bought a $90 Craftsman torque wrench, problem solved. The torque on that crappy wrench was at least 5 lbs off when set on 7lbs. Buy a good one or pay the price.
KC

• yzernie

Posted January 14, 2002 - 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Sanch:
Some days, things really could be a lot worse

Some days it is better to be lucky than good!!

Ernie

• Boit

Posted January 14, 2002 - 05:51 PM

MXTuner: I went right out and looked for that bolt but cannot locate it on my '00. The only 8mm head bolts are the two that secure the cam chain adjuster.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.