Top End Noise

6 replies to this topic
  • bobpara

Posted May 05, 2014 - 07:06 AM

I have a 2006 WR 450 with very low hours/miles on it

I just measured the valve clearances and they are all in spec

On the low side of the spec, but still in spec.

I have noticed that when I lug the engine through tight single track

I hear a slight noise sometimes coming from what seems to be the top-end of the engine

If I had to venture a guess, it sounds like the cam chain

Does that slipper-shoe and the tensioner need any attention over time?

• flyandride

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:33 PM

The tensioner takes up the slack automatically and shouldn't need any attention.  You should pull out the cam chain and inspect it for kinks and replace if any are found.  Also it may be worth it to replace the tensioner with a manual tensioner.  Mine made a noise like what you are describing with the manual tensioner adjusted like the instructions said.  I tightened it a little and the noise went away.  

• Alstar450

Posted May 08, 2014 - 10:47 PM

Are you sure it's not chain slap? Especially since it occurs when lugging it? Drive chain that is...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobpara

Posted May 12, 2014 - 05:28 AM

Alstar450: Not sure.....its really hard to diagnose a noise when you are flying along. If I pull in the clutch or let back on the throttle it seems to go I guess that eliminates a loose piece of body work or something. The drive chain is adjusted to what I believe is correct. The noise SEEMS to come from up front, but I cant be sure

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 12, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Noisy, noisy motors

Check to see that your chain is truly in line with both sprockets

Chain slap can be 'cured' by putting silicone under the rub strip

Piston slap is audible at low (3500) rpms as the piston wears

• bobpara

Posted May 13, 2014 - 10:10 AM

How long does it take to go from piston slap to crap?

Will the engine pack soon?

• bobpara

Posted May 13, 2014 - 10:12 AM

It almost sounds like a bottom end noise, but considering the age & condition of the bike

it seems really unlikely

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.