I just bought a 426 for very very cheap. clean title signed over to me now.
it has a locked up motor, PO said it gradually siezed up and didnt go bang or anything. rusty/dented frame, rusty bolts everywhere, garbage plastics etc.
I'm weighing various options of what to do with it. maybe you folks can help. I'm a intermediate rider about 165lbs and a 426 might be a bit much for me(woods only)
1. pull motor apart for rebuild, will likely need a cylinder, piston kit, some head stuff, etc. to really do it right will start to be like $800 and that's if the bottom end is all gravy(doubtful?). probably paint the frame, new plastics, some wear items, etc. could be into it around $1200 at that point but it could get out of hand as well. and then it's still a crusty old POS with a good motor. I may pull the top end off for a looksee anyway
2. find good used motor. whats that run, $700-1000? would think about trying to get a WR.
3. try and put a WR250F or YZ250F into it? what's that entail?
4. part out motor/carb/cdi/exhaust/rads and use the roller for an XR200 or 250 swap to build a bombproof tight woods bike(had a wild hair to do this for a while and I do custom fabrication for work) or maybe KDX200. the YZF chassis is a worthy platform to go to an effort like this isnt it? I'd still have to do some bearings, suspension work, repaint the frame, etc. any other ideas for a candidate for a motor swap?
5. part it out fully. how much do you guys think some of the big ticket items like carb, forks, shock, wheels, etc. go for? do I sell the motor complete or do I part it out piece by piece on ebay? seems piecing it out would be the way to go because it's current condition is a mystery? or are there engine builders who would want it whole?
I guess my heart says build the woods bike. I'm kinda needing a bike like that I can get better at woods riding on. I'll still recoup a good amount of money from all the stuff I wouldn't use anyway.
of course, I can't lose any money by going #5