YZ450F strange noise?

22 replies to this topic
  • iFR

Posted May 03, 2014 - 11:27 AM

Hi!
Recently I bought a 07 YZ450F, low hours seems to me!
Very good condition, just looks like new.
The engine was very quiet and silent, the previous owner barely ride that bike. He even gave me the gaskets and everything that came with the bike when new.

Well, I have about 10 hours on the bike now, and a strange noise coming from the motor appeared!
It's like a knocking or rattling, and it's becoming more and more loud.
My cam chain tensor isn't in great shape, seems to me. I'm thinking in replacing the cam chain and the tensor. What do you guys think that can be? I'm afraid that something is gonna break :(

• Gunner354

Posted May 03, 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hi!
Recently I bought a 07 YZ450F, low hours seems to me!
Very good condition, just looks like new.
The engine was very quiet and silent, the previous owner barely ride that bike. He even gave me the gaskets and everything that came with the bike when new.

Well, I have about 10 hours on the bike now, and a strange noise coming from the motor appeared!
It's like a knocking or rattling, and it's becoming more and more loud.
My cam chain tensor isn't in great shape, seems to me. I'm thinking in replacing the cam chain and the tensor. What do you guys think that can be? I'm afraid that something is gonna break :(

May b your drive chain loosening up and slapping swing arm.

• seacraft69

Posted May 03, 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hell the fact the engine was quiet would concern me. Mine sounds like chitty chitty bang bang.

• Saratj1

Posted May 03, 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hell the fact the engine was quiet would concern me. Mine sounds like chitty chitty bang bang.

Thumpers lol

• iFR

Posted May 03, 2014 - 03:37 PM

In fact! It was quiet!
That's my concern.
I'm gonna buy a cam chain and a tensor. Let's see if the tok noise will stop.

• iFR

Posted May 03, 2014 - 04:22 PM

May b your drive chain loosening up and slapping swing arm.

I don't think so.
Re ajusted chain yesterday..,
The noise comes from engine itself.
Here's a video:

• seacraft69

Posted May 04, 2014 - 03:36 AM

Pretty hard to tell from vid. Almost sounds like exhaust leak at the header? You could use a long screwdriver or dowel like a stethoscope to try and pin point the culpret.

• iFR

Posted May 04, 2014 - 04:02 AM

Pretty hard to tell from vid. Almost sounds like exhaust leak at the header? You could use a long screwdriver or dowel like a stethoscope to try and pin point the culpret.

Exhaust leak? We'll I changed the exhaust.
Full Akrapovic exhaust...

• nucular

Posted May 04, 2014 - 04:40 AM

I haven't done my YZ but I just redid the head on my daughter's KFX. The cam chain was very stretched and made a very loud ticking sound. I can't tell from your video of it's more of a tick or a knock.

Edited by nucular, May 04, 2014 - 04:40 AM.

• iFR

Posted May 04, 2014 - 05:28 AM

Ok, but thank you anyway!
Here's another video, hope you guys can understand the noise:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nucular

Posted May 04, 2014 - 05:57 AM

Sounds like the cam chain to me

• iFR

Posted May 04, 2014 - 06:29 AM

Yeah I hope so! Next week I will replace it.

• grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:55 AM

Try pulling the clutch in while it's idling and see how that affects it. Gearbox rattle is normal.

• Cyclemedic

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:03 AM

I had a 2008 YZ450 that had the gear box rattle, went away in I pulled in the clutch. Never had an issue with it. Sounds similar to mine.

• 1stSSPZ

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:37 AM

Sounds just like my 06...

• grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2014 - 02:19 PM

'S what I'm saying. 

• iFR

Posted May 04, 2014 - 03:55 PM

Try pulling the clutch in while it's idling and see how that affects it. Gearbox rattle is normal.

I've tried that. The rattles stop but the knocking noise continues! i'm freankin out with this.

I had a 2008 YZ450 that had the gear box rattle, went away in I pulled in the clutch. Never had an issue with it. Sounds similar to mine.

it´s not gear box rattle I believe. Here in my country (Portugal), Yamaha doesn´t have cam chains in stock (wtf?), I´ll just have to wait.

Do you guys think that ridding my bike while making this noise will be a bad ideia?

• nucular

Posted May 04, 2014 - 04:14 PM

Check to see how far in the cam chain tensioner is. If it's toward the far end, that would tell you that the chain is stretched. The procedure should be in the manual.

• iFR

Posted May 05, 2014 - 06:34 AM

Someone told me that can be the rod.
Any chance? I don't think so, the bike doesn't has any wear :/

Here's another video that you guys could listen better the noise:http://youtu.be/XykhY2F-sxo

• iFR

Posted May 06, 2014 - 02:10 PM

Anyone...?
I haven't changed the cam chain yet.
As a mater of fact, the cam chain on this bike was never replaced.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.