2006 yz450f only runs good with choke

6 replies to this topic
  • Bshaips

Posted May 01, 2014 - 10:44 PM

I acquired an 06 yz450 from a friend that passed away and I know nothing about it. It had sat for about 4 months before I got it and it fired up within about 5 kicks. Ran ok but I figured I would go through the carb to make sure everything was clean. Got it apart and cleaned it real good and blew the passages out with air and re assembled. It's got a 48 pilot jet and a 165 main. FMF mega bomb with a ti powercore muffler. Head pipe was loose when I got it Assuming everything else is stock but the issue Is it doesn't idle without the choke on and seems to run better with it on in general. The bike has fresh gas and a clean filter also. I'm not a 4 stroke guy at all my main bike is a yz250 so I'm just lost on this one. Any help would be appriacated.
Also altitude is around 800ft if that helps any

• DC_Excitement

Posted May 02, 2014 - 02:21 AM

the pilot jet is very difficult to clean, you need a small needle to scrape the gunk out, or simply just replace it. if your not familiar with the jet you could think its clean,  that's the first part of the carb that gets clogged

loosen the carb clamps and twist the carb enough to get at the bowl bolts, no need to remove it completely

Sorry for your loss.

• LSHD

Posted May 02, 2014 - 02:29 AM

Did you leave off or crack a hose (vacuum leak)?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZerman

Posted May 02, 2014 - 02:41 AM

What's you're idle air screw set at?

• Bshaips

Posted May 02, 2014 - 08:16 AM

I replaced the pilot jet when I had it out. So it's brand new and the fuel screw is about 1 1/2 turns out and I've played with it from about 1-2 1/2 turns out and can't get it any better. I'll look over all the lines today make sure there all attached and in good shape. Thanks

• Bshaips

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:54 PM

• crb357

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:05 PM

Do you run an in line fuel filter between tank and carb? Could be trash in tank clogging the pilot right after you clean it. Was there any white corrosion in the bowl? Maybe some of that broke loose and got in the pilot again. Also what about the carb air box boot seal? Is that seated correctly and the clamps tight? I have forgotten to tighten the clamp before and some dirt got in. Also be careful when removing air filter bc some chunks of dirt could fall into the boot and get suck right back into the carb. I now use the "crevice" adapter on my Shop Vac down in the boot real good when I clean my air filter.

I have had the pleasure of the same problem. I immediately did as you did and replaced the pilot and cleaned everything. The problem resurfaced after about 20 mins of riding. I went back into the carb again and amazingly the pilot was clogged up again. I cleaned it and carb again and never had another issue. Somehow there was still some crud in one of those little areas. Probably from dirt getting in the boot when I was reassembling everything.

I think it has to be the pilot.

Edited by crb357, May 06, 2014 - 06:08 PM.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.