02 yz426f timing marks

2 replies to this topic
  • brewerjw1011

Posted May 01, 2014 - 02:28 PM

Hey guys i pulled my valve cover off today to see if my valves were in spec and i got it to TDC and the timing marks werent parallel to the block i lined the mark on the crank with the l mark on the flywheel and then the cam marks were off. I thought the cam marks were susposed to be parallel with the block at the same time while on TDC do yall have any ideas this is my first time adjusting DOHC engines and im puzzled any help from u guys would be greatly appreciated i kno my valve spec for the intake side is .10-.15 and exhaust is .20-.25 correct me if im wrong and when i stuck my feeler guages in there it was way off on intake and exhaust so yea im kinda confused any help from yall would be greatly appreciated thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 01, 2014 - 03:17 PM

First, there are 3 marks on the flywheel.  They are clustered together, and the first two from left to right are normally connected by a horizontal that makes them resemble an "H".   These are fro ignition timing.  The third mark is TDC for the cams. 

If your 426 has the original cams, There will be an "E" and an "I" mark on each cam.  These are to align with the gasket surface on top of the head.  If it has an exhaust cam with a flyweight on the sprocket, then you need to know whether it is an aftermarket cam made for a 426, or a Yamaha cam for a YZ450.  Most aftermarket cams will have some numbers stamped on them someplace, the Yamaha cams not. 

In the case of the aftermarket cams, there is usually a mark that will align with the head at "9:00 o'clock", and another at 12:00.   The Yamaha cam is more complicated: 

http://www.thumperta...49#entry2979654

http://www.thumperta...53#entry4458141

• brewerjw1011

Posted May 02, 2014 - 02:18 AM

Ok thanks that helps alot and they are the original cams ill keep you updated

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.