Carb Part doesn't look right 2007 450f

8 replies to this topic
  • yteka99

Posted April 30, 2014 - 06:37 PM

I bought a 2007 yz450f yesterday and it wasn't running quite right. So I pulled the carb off and it's not like the carbs I've dealt with in the past. When I picked it up it was a huge pain to start and had zero idle. It would run just fine when I kept my hand on the gas to create an idle though. I turned the idle screw up just a touch and it'll start and idle just fine, first kick when it's cold. So I decided I was going to start by cleaning the carb, most of it looked clean and perfect until I pulled the slider cover. There was some gunk all around in there. When I pulled the slider out this little plate thing fell out with it. Looks like that rubber part wont sit correctly. Could that be a thing? Do I replace the rubber ring or the whole little plate thing?photo.php?fbid=10201911980142219&set=a.1

Attached Thumbnails

• carb seal.jpg

• etuke

Posted May 01, 2014 - 02:50 AM

sometimes rubber will swell with different chemicals maybe let it dry some and it may shrink back down.

• yteka99

Posted May 01, 2014 - 03:29 AM

If this isn't the problem, any ideas what it would be? My mechanic said it doesn't sound like valves to him. If this carb clean doesn't work I'm just going to take it to him to fix

• stevethe

Posted May 01, 2014 - 06:31 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...5115250?lpid=82

Buy a new slide vacuum o-ring.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 01, 2014 - 09:11 AM

sometimes rubber will swell with different chemicals maybe let it dry some and it may shrink back down.

Try this before you buy a new one.

• stevethe

Posted May 01, 2014 - 06:09 PM

Try this before you buy a new one.

LNBC

Let's not be cheap. It's $20. for a new one and there's no telling where that old one may end up.

• yteka99

Posted May 01, 2014 - 08:10 PM

I ordered one but gonna try this one for now. I pulled the plug, its perfectly brown. That means what as far as possible valve issues?

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2014 - 06:57 AM

It won't "end up" anywhere.  9 times out of 10, they shrink right back to shape.  The new seal will look just like that in a week.  I have other things to do with $20.

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2014 - 07:01 AM

I ordered one but gonna try this one for now. I pulled the plug, its perfectly brown. That means what as far as possible valve issues?

Means nothing as far as valves are concerned.  Check your clearances.  It's easy to do (once you work out how the cover comes off), and it will tell you more than anything else about the valve condition.  If they are tighter than spec, adjust them.  Then, check them again after 2 or 3 rides.  If the adjustment holds, they're probably just fine.  If one or more of them has closed back up in that short time, they need to be replaced.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.