WR400F restoration help?

6 replies to this topic
  • mxrider98

Posted April 30, 2014 - 03:27 AM

Hey there,

I have recently purchased a 1998 wr400f. It is in ok condition and has the usual wear a dirt bike would have. Could anyone help me as to what I should change/replace to make it a good looking and reliable bike. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

• Jedmeister

Posted April 30, 2014 - 03:42 AM

Wow! that is one very generalised question!

Lets see, replace everything that is dull/scratched with new/blingy items.  There is no limit other than your budget.  I have a 98' WR400 too and the previous owner spent heaps on plastics etc.  ie wr450 headlight, new seat cover, yz400 pipe/side number plates/rear fender, custom graphics and I have just rebuilt it as a 426.  When it's in motard trim with chrome 17" rims with gold talon hubs and a 320mm front disk, no one can pick what it is! 

reliability wise - change the oil and filter/check the valve clearances/if it starts/idles/runs ok then just ride it and enjoy the power!

ps. keep an ear out for a noise in the gearbox, my just ate forth pinion gear, hence the 426 rebuild!

• rossonza

Posted April 30, 2014 - 05:48 AM

valve clearances before anything else. no point having a blingy bike if its going to drop a valve. Valves are much cheaper than a new head/bottom end.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jedmeister

Posted April 30, 2014 - 12:28 PM

good call rossonza! mechanicals first, bling later!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 30, 2014 - 04:14 PM

Start searching and reading

You question  pretty much requires a book full of information

We don't know what you will understand or are ready for.

#1 ?  A SERVICE MANUAL!

• mxrider98

Posted April 30, 2014 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I will get it checked over by a dealer first :)

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 01, 2014 - 04:31 AM

Thanks for your help guys. I will get it checked over by a dealer first :)

I would strongly recommend that you do not take it to a dealer for anything.

Dealers are skilled in removing bikes from crates, changing oil and tires, and other basic stuff.

You should find a local 'tuner' in your area who works on Yamaha YZ/WR's and have him look it over.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.