Transmission rebuild? $

9 replies to this topic
  • bmxchamp00

Posted April 28, 2014 - 07:53 PM

So my yz426 has a problem with 5th gear; every other gear is perfect except the 5th one which slips back and forth from 5 to 4. I know it is transmission, and I really want to get this fixed. Can anyone give me an estimate of how much this would be to bring into a shop to get rebuilt/fixed?

• adam8781

Posted April 28, 2014 - 08:56 PM

So my yz426 has a problem with 5th gear; every other gear is perfect except the 5th one which slips back and forth from 5 to 4. I know it is transmission, and I really want to get this fixed. Can anyone give me an estimate of how much this would be to bring into a shop to get rebuilt/fixed?

more than the bike is worth. if you could bring just the bottom end to the shop it might be more cost effective.

Get a manual and rebuild it yourself.

• 1987CR250R

Posted April 28, 2014 - 09:41 PM

Just replace what is bad.  It costs about $25-35 per gear wheel.  Each speed has two gears associated with it.  You really need to go in for a visual inspection.  Transmission problems usually cost between $65-350 in parts unless you munch it really badly and you can do your own labor.  Don't forget to inspect the shift forks and shift drum.

Edited by 1987CR250R, April 28, 2014 - 09:42 PM.

• wolverine_05_

Posted April 29, 2014 - 03:16 AM

I'm currently trying to repair my crf250r that has a weird tranny problem and when I called all of my local shops, it would have cost me over $400 in labor if I took the engine off myself and only brought them the bottom end. If you're mechanically inclined and have some extra time, I say do it yourself.

• bmxchamp00

Posted April 29, 2014 - 05:43 AM

Just replace what is bad. It costs about $25-35 per gear wheel. Each speed has two gears associated with it. You really need to go in for a visual inspection. Transmission problems usually cost between $65-350 in parts unless you munch it really badly and you can do your own labor. Don't forget to inspect the shift forks and shift drum.

So if it is only 5th gear then would I need a whole rebuild?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wolverine_05_

Posted April 29, 2014 - 05:50 AM

So if it is only 5th gear then would I need a whole rebuild?

Not necessarily, but it's still gonna cost a crap ton. You don't actually know what's going on in your transmission and what needs replaced until you get in there and see what's up. You could have a broke shifting fork or a messed up gear or anything. I thought I had my problem solved until I actually saw the inside of it and now we can't figure anything out.

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2014 - 06:46 AM

The typical "pops out of 5th" problem with a YZ426 involves replacing the 3rd and 5th gear on the main shaft, along with the #2 shift fork that controls the 3rd gear.  Third gear slides back and forth on the main shaft on splines, and is used to lock the free wheeling 4th and 5th gears to the shaft to engage them.  The locking lugs wear until they won't hold under a load any more.

Not really very expensive unless there is a lot of other stuff worn in there.  What adds up is all the gaskets and what not, and rings and bearings, if you decide to replace them.

• wolverine_05_

Posted April 30, 2014 - 01:57 PM

The typical "pops out of 5th" problem with a YZ426 involves replacing the 3rd and 5th gear on the main shaft, along with the #2 shift fork that controls the 3rd gear. Third gear slides back and forth on the main shaft on splines, and is used to lock the free wheeling 4th and 5th gears to the shaft to engage them. The locking lugs wear until they won't hold under a load any more.

Not really very expensive unless there is a lot of other stuff worn in there. What adds up is all the gaskets and what not, and rings and bearings, if you decide to replace them.

That's what I meant when I said expensive. It's not the actual cost of the small things to fix it but all the hidden fees in between.

• amamx19

Posted April 30, 2014 - 06:59 PM

I'm in the process of tearing my 426 trans apart because it drops out of 5th under power. So far it looks like I need:
2- shift forks $55/each
probably the drum $100
gasket kit $168

already replaced I believe 2nd and 3rd gear which was $30 and $50 when my uncle was working on it. Along with some main bearings and the center shift fork $55.

So even tho I'm doing it myself it is still getting expensive quick! I was told about $800 in labor if the shop did it, even with motor already out of the bike.

• Jdrost72

Posted April 30, 2014 - 09:19 PM

U might be able to find a motor with a good bottom end.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.