laid down my WR in some sand, now the electric start won't work

5 replies to this topic
  • jshillhouse

Posted April 28, 2014 - 02:32 PM

a couple of weeks ago I was riding my 2004 WR450F in Moab, through sand, water, and river rocks... hit a patch of deep sand, and the wheels came out from under me, and the bike hit a rock.  The only visible damage was the front fender got bent and cracked, but ever since then, the electric start doesn't work.  It doesn't do anything.  The red light on the power button doesn't light up either when it's turned on.  I don't know if it's a related issue or not, but kick starting the bike is more difficult too (ie. it takes a lot more kicks to get it started).

I just wanted to see if this is something anyone else has dealt with before, that can save me some time trouble shooting.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Edited by jshillhouse, April 28, 2014 - 02:34 PM.

• thomas liles

Posted April 28, 2014 - 02:44 PM

Have you checked the battery terminals? Could have knocked them loose? Check your electrical plugs also they could have cracked from impact. Sorry if these suggestions are too obvious I always try to try the easy stuff first

• RMK800

Posted April 28, 2014 - 04:03 PM

Checked your fuses? You need to do some exploring. Take off the seat and look at what you got, also check the ground.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 28, 2014 - 05:31 PM

Clutch override splice

Will it start in neutral?

Kill button short

• woods-rider

Posted April 29, 2014 - 06:42 PM

Clutch override splice

Will it start in neutral?

Kill button short

These would have the same effect on electric and kick starting. It won't start with the button but will with the kicker, just more difficult.

Definitely sounds like an electrical issue, but you have narrowed it down to something that would only keep the button from working.

Edited by woods-rider, April 29, 2014 - 06:44 PM.

• jshillhouse

Posted May 02, 2014 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the great advice and suggestions, I am happy to report that it was in fact just a fuse (although in my exploritory routine, I noticed that I also smashed my flasher relay to pieces as well).

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.