2013 YZ450 burning oil after new top end?

4 replies to this topic
  • WYO522

Posted April 28, 2014 - 12:44 PM

I recently installed a GYTR head and cams with a GYTR hi-comp piston. The bike has ran great for the first 5-6hrs. This weekend though the bike started giving a pretty good puff of smoke after idling for a bit then whacking the throttle... obviously something is wrong?? Why would the bike hardly burn any oil during break in, and several rides thereafter,  then suddenly start? Just looking for some input before I tear the bike apart to investigate?

• grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2014 - 01:08 PM

Usually, rings cause smoke under an operating load, and will smoke pretty much continually while on the gas.  If the smoke is only the one puff after it idles (or sits) awhile, it points to the valve guide seals rather than rings.

Any number of reasons why it would suddenly start that.  The head gasket can leak oil into the chamber, but it's not likely to do that without having other symptoms, like coolant loss.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WYO522

Posted April 29, 2014 - 06:18 AM

Thanks for the input grayracer. As far as I can tell it doesn't burn oil under a constant load, just after idling or sitting. It gives a pretty good puff of greyish black smoke. Coolant lose would show up as white smoke or in the oil making it frothy and milky right?

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2014 - 06:49 AM

Coolant makes steam, not smoke.  Steam vanishes into the air, smoke has to drift away and dissipate. The smell is distinctively different, too.  Smoke smells like burning oil, coolant steam has a kind of peppery smell.

• WYO522

Posted April 29, 2014 - 07:56 AM

Understood. When I get the top end apart I suppose I'll know more. Thanks for giving me a direction.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.