Blowing Oil

3 replies to this topic
  • Bama

Posted January 17, 2004 - 06:32 PM

Since I have a skid plate on my bike ('01 WR426) the vent line that come off of the top of the engine ends right on top of the skid plate and accumulates oil on every ride. When I park the bike I wind up with a small (2 inch) puddle of oil under the bike.

Is this normal????

Thanks for your help.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 17, 2004 - 08:41 PM

Normal to vent and blow some oil but you should not get that much. Are you overfilling the oil capacity? Drops should vent but not pool. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaGeek

Posted January 18, 2004 - 06:50 AM

I've got a plate also. Really don't see ANY oil while riding. I will see small amounts during wash up. Supose the water is getting up into the hose and draining it out then?

If I were to see any more I would suspect cylinder/ring wear and additional blow by of the piston thereby increasing crankcase pressures and blowing out more oil. I would suggest a compression and leakdown test. Not saying you have a problem by any means but I'm with INDY in that a pool is bit much.

• Bama

Posted January 18, 2004 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I'll do a compression check as soon as I'm able. Your logic about increased crank crase pressure makes sence to me.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.