Hard starting 03 WR-450F

10 replies to this topic
  • luksdad

Posted January 17, 2004 - 06:31 PM

it starts best when I jump it with a portable car battery jumper. I think it just likes the extra amps.....?

I have yet to install the JD jets (which i have) and have looked for the grey wire for an hour but no luck.

i know it could be various things....... but any insight is much appreciated.

it really does run like a raped ape once warmed up...it's sleeting here now and I'm still out there messin with it...i love lol

:)

Dave P

• Machster

Posted January 17, 2004 - 06:59 PM

Dave,
Please list what mods you have performed so far. I think it would be easier to help you out1
:) :D

• mtrablue

Posted January 17, 2004 - 07:08 PM

i'm sure if you use the "search" feature you should be able to find a lot on the cold starting stuff. this is the short list. use a battery tender to keep your battery charged. change the starter jet to a #72. go to a #48 pilot jet. twist the throttle four or five times before you try to start it to dump raw gas into the intake. DO NOT twist the throttle while trying to start it. the t.p.s. will tell the c.d.i. to alter the ignition advance. when all else fails, kick start it the first time started for the days ride. the gray wire will not effect starting(i could be wrong). go to offroad.com and look for the wr450 project bike. they have a picture of the gray wire fix. good luck

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 17, 2004 - 08:43 PM

Ditto the battery is marginal for cold starting. Or you can kick it. :)

• endurodog

Posted January 17, 2004 - 10:25 PM

FWIW the first start of the day for me I run the starter about 5 seconds to warm things up and then kick it, usually starts first kick. The rest of the day the E button works just fine.

Last weekend I hit the button to run my 5 second drill and the thing started. Shocked the heck out of me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 18, 2004 - 05:51 AM

FWIW the first start of the day for me I run the starter about 5 seconds to warm things up and then kick it, usually starts first kick. The rest of the day the E button works just fine.

Yep, me too.....

• beezer

Posted January 18, 2004 - 05:56 AM

My WR does not like to start in cold weather. I know I need a bigger starter jet but I'm lazy. Its easier just to twist the throttle a few times. I twist mine about 10 times before I hit the button. I was out the other day in 10 degree weather and it ran fine. I was out for about 5 minutes before my hands froze.

Sigghh winter.

• Mike_Hudson

Posted January 19, 2004 - 07:50 AM

The starter jet made a big difference in my cold starting. Of course, 35 F is cold to me. I use to kick it first time in the morning as others have said, but now it fires right up. I just use the choke, no twists of the throttle.
Mike

• Gordingull

Posted January 19, 2004 - 09:07 AM

I live in Iceland and I have never had any problems starting it with the e-starter. I ride it on the winters to on frozen lakes :)

• wjc2003

Posted January 19, 2004 - 03:31 PM

I always kick start mine when the engine is cold.The battery just doesn't have enough juice to start it.I use the choke and don't gas it.E-start works after the engine is hot.

• new2blu

Posted January 19, 2004 - 07:16 PM

I live in the same area that you do so jetting should be pretty close to the same for both our bikes. For cold weather a #72 starter jet helps a lot and it starts easier kicking it when the engine is cold----electric start works best on a warm engine. Currently I am running a 48 pilot and a 160 main. Haven't got the #72 starter jet---yet.
What places do you ride I'm always looking for new places? P.M. if you like

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.