Cleaning Accel. Pump on a 98 WR

6 replies to this topic
  • skopiec

Posted January 17, 2004 - 06:30 PM

It looks like the AP on my '98 is frozen - the plunger barely moves. Do I need to pull the carb off the bike to clean it, or are there any tips to do it on the bike? Other than a bog off the bottom (which made me look at the pump), the bike runs great.

Thanks,
Scott

• gfergtr74

Posted January 17, 2004 - 06:42 PM

Pop it off of there and take a look may need to cleaned up some. While you are at it you should do the BK mod. go to the motoman393 link under the community drop down at top of page.

• Hick

Posted January 18, 2004 - 04:57 PM

The BK mod won't work on that carb.

I suppose you could clean the pump with the carb still on, unfortunately that might not cure all of the problem. Part of the obstruction could be the rod binding where it goes through the carb body due to a build up of dirt, a common problem with the original Keihin CR slant. To get the rod out you have to remove the slide pulley and shaft.

But you can clean the pump and diaphragm with the carb still on. There are two very small o-rings that seal the pump cover to the passages (inlet and outlet) in the bowl, so watch out for these, the pump won't work without them and they are tiny and easy to lose. Also, note which way the diaphragm is oriented, it only goes in there one way or the pump won't operate. Finally, keep carb cleaner off of the diaphragm, some kinds will causes it to shrink up.

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skopiec

Posted January 19, 2004 - 10:34 AM

Would it be OK to pull the boot off the rod and work some lube in there to free it up, or would I potentially be contaminating something else?

Thanks,
Scott

• MOmilkman

Posted January 19, 2004 - 12:25 PM

Would it be OK to pull the boot off the rod and work some lube in there to free it up, or would I potentially be contaminating something else?

Thanks,
Scott

More than likley scott, your not going to get all the dirt out of the acc pump that way.

Theres a dry side and a wet side to the acc pump. To get all the dirt out, you are going to have to take the pump cover off.

Ive got a pic on my home computer of the pump with the cover off. PM me your email and I will send it tonight if that might help. :)

• Hick

Posted January 19, 2004 - 02:27 PM

Not if the pump cover is off. Whatever penetrant or solvent you are using on the rod will run down the rod and onto the ground if the pump cover is off. If not then you would be introducing even more junk into the pump and maybe damaging/shrinking the diaphragm as I mentioned earlier. But with the cover off it may be worth a try.

Hope this helps.

• steveracer

Posted January 19, 2004 - 02:51 PM

it woud be much easier to just pull the carb off and clean it out with windex or a water soulable cleaner than trying to struggle with it on the bike. it is pretty simple to do.watch for the two little o-rings and the small spring when you pull the 3 screws out. the ap mod i did was to put a 3/32 locking collar on the rod to limit the squirt duration.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.