Lights On

11 replies to this topic
  • YamaGeek

Posted January 17, 2004 - 06:12 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else notice their bike stalling easier, and harder to start with the lights on. Makes sense that the extra electrical load would make it so. :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 17, 2004 - 08:52 PM

Yes that is why I like the on off headlight switch. They got rid of that feature on the 04's.

• ddialogue

Posted January 18, 2004 - 11:41 AM

Strange. I honestly haven't noticed a difference.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 18, 2004 - 03:36 PM

Me neither... But now that you mention it I'll be looking out for it.

Dan

• 5spoke

Posted January 18, 2004 - 04:10 PM

It shouldn't make much difference as the light circuit is isolated from the starter circuit by the rectifier, thus drawing no current from the battery.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 18, 2004 - 08:28 PM

It is very obvious when you ride around just above the idle point in first gear. The power loss can be felt. Beyond that there is little to notice. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_H

Posted January 18, 2004 - 09:25 PM

I've thought about it and experimented and found no diff. I do like to leave mine off just so it lasts longer. :)

• 5spoke

Posted January 18, 2004 - 09:40 PM

I've thought about it and experimented and found no diff. I do like to leave mine off just so it lasts longer. :)

I have a light switch and haven't noticed any diff.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• YamaGeek

Posted January 19, 2004 - 05:07 PM

I notice it most, of course, in the slow technical stuff, lugging. The stalls are more frequent. Its like it stalls quicker, just a split second before I go to grab the clutch for feather. I can't tell any difference on open sutff. I now tend to turn it off in the slow stuff and only use it when dark of course and when the trails are crowded to help with visibility. I also find myself turning it off when I'm kick starting because I "believe" it is easier to start.

One of those things you'd never be able to prove I supose. Just a feel/perception.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 19, 2004 - 06:36 PM

Nothing to prove. The enegry generated is not free. The electrical load places a small "resistive" drag on the crank rotation. IE. it take some HP to make electricity. It is not free! :)

• Alabama_Rider

Posted January 19, 2004 - 11:40 PM

Indy is right. If it were free we would have solved the Energy problems for the universe. I have noticed a big difference when the battery is weak.

5spoke whos dual spoke kit is that? Looks good.

• 5spoke

Posted January 20, 2004 - 08:02 AM

Indy is right. If it were free we would have solved the Energy problems for the universe. I have noticed a big difference when the battery is weak.

5spoke whos dual spoke kit is that? Looks good.

I built it using various parts. (1)Dual sport WR450
(2) Dual Sport Page

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.