Buying a new WR...Pull the trigger?

18 replies to this topic
  • wizbangdoodle

Posted April 25, 2014 - 06:37 PM

I've been thinking about buying a new bike for awhile now and a couple dealers in the area have leftovers for a decent price.  A 2012 for $6700 and a 2013 for $6900.

I have had an '06 WR450 and sold that to my son to get my '07 I have now.  I really like the bike, but it is getting to where it needs more and more attention.  I also like the idea of FI.  My '07 is setup just how I like now.  Handguards, radiator guards, skidplate, Devol suspension, trials tire on the rear and probably some things I am forgetting at the moment.

From the guys that have ridden both, what's your take on the new bike versus the old and are the changes great enough to warrant a new bike?  I mostly ride woods with an occasional trip east of the mountains to the desert and open riding.  I would also plate this new bike for getting to local trails around the house. 

I have heard of guys getting deals on these for around $6500 OTD.  Can anyone back this up? 

So, bottom line, should I pull the trigger? And where can I get the best deal?

• mch

Posted April 25, 2014 - 07:59 PM

I bought my 2012 in August 2012 for 6500 out the door at the Yamaha shop in Sublimity Oregon.

Edited by mch, April 25, 2014 - 08:00 PM.

• crb357

Posted April 25, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Do it. The forks alone is a major upgrade.

• mikenash

Posted April 26, 2014 - 09:33 AM

I'm the same boat as I just sold my 06 and looking a new fuel injected one shopping around and trying to get the best deal.

• thomas liles

Posted April 26, 2014 - 10:27 AM

I also have an 07 and my buddy has always really liked it so he bought a 13 last week. Hes already uncorked it or tuned it I've got my bike perfect for me and I really think I'm going to get a new one. It felt so different so much more comfortable. I'd say go for it!

• wizbangdoodle

Posted April 26, 2014 - 10:48 AM

I think I'll trade my bike in and also take in my wife's TTR125LE if I do this deal. I take good care of my stuff, so I think I should get the upper value on my WR, which is $3000.  The TTR has hardly been ridden and book value says around $1300 which is ridiculous.  If I sold it privately I'd want $2000 or something close to that.  Am I being unreasonable with those numbers? If I can get $4500-5000 on trade I'll do it today.

BTW, would you guys say the bike handles turns better than my '07?  I understand that it may weigh a bit more, but they have changed the geometry to make it handle corners better.  Opinions?

Edited by wizbangdoodle, April 26, 2014 - 10:50 AM.

• thomas liles

Posted April 26, 2014 - 01:23 PM

I'd say with the suspension set up right it will definetly turn/ handle/or whatever better. It's new and we all love new toys.

• letitsnow

Posted April 26, 2014 - 07:05 PM

I think I'll trade my bike in and also take in my wife's TTR125LE if I do this deal. I take good care of my stuff, so I think I should get the upper value on my WR, which is $3000.  The TTR has hardly been ridden and book value says around $1300 which is ridiculous.  If I sold it privately I'd want $2000 or something close to that.  Am I being unreasonable with those numbers? If I can get $4500-5000 on trade I'll do it today.  Opinions?

You'll probably get $2300/1000 (or less) for trade in. 

I bought an '06 that was like new last fall for $2700.  It's hard to believe that a dealer would give much over $2000 (if even that high) for trade in on one.  Maybe if you were paying full retail for a new Ducati or something...

• AtomicGeo

Posted April 26, 2014 - 07:24 PM

I'm on the hunt for a new WR450F...is there a difference between 2013 and 2014?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wizbangdoodle

Posted April 26, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Well, the deal is done.  Bought a leftover 2012.  The funny thing is, once we got there and my wife saw her bike going away, she had to have a dual sport.  So we bought her a little DR200 to putt around on.

Got a pretty good deal on trade. 2500 and 1500.  I know I could have sold privately and got more, but I didn't want to hassle with Craigslist flakes.  Anyway, the mods have begun and I'll be getting a tuner soon.  I had forgotten how plugged up and restricted these bikes come from Yamaha.  Whoever thought 1/8th throttle was enough needs to be fired!  Anyway, taking it out monday for it's first ride.  I'm excited.

Anyone have any suggestion for suspension settings?  I'm 220 and about 230-235 geared up.

Posted April 27, 2014 - 04:28 PM

BTW, would you guys say the bike handles turns better than my '07?  I understand that it may weigh a bit more, but they have changed the geometry to make it handle corners better.  Opinions?

They weigh the same and yes it turns better.

• letitsnow

Posted April 27, 2014 - 04:52 PM

Well, the deal is done.  Bought a leftover 2012.  The funny thing is, once we got there and my wife saw her bike going away, she had to have a dual sport.  So we bought her a little DR200 to putt around on.

Got a pretty good deal on trade. 2500 and 1500.  I know I could have sold privately and got more, but I didn't want to hassle with Craigslist flakes.  Anyway, the mods have begun and I'll be getting a tuner soon.  I had forgotten how plugged up and restricted these bikes come from Yamaha.  Whoever thought 1/8th throttle was enough needs to be fired!  Anyway, taking it out monday for it's first ride.  I'm excited.

Anyone have any suggestion for suspension settings?  I'm 220 and about 230-235 geared up.

Nice!  I am glad that I was wrong about the trade in value!! 

Edited by letitsnow, April 27, 2014 - 04:53 PM.

• alstar250

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:43 PM

What kind of riding do you do? I'm 190lbs geared up and ride a ton of open desert in Nevada / So Cal and this bike is way too soft for me. Nothing short of stiffer springs and a revalve are going to give me what I need... Otherwise Its pretty plush through most of the stroke depending on speed, just set the sag and start from there.

• wizbangdoodle

Posted May 05, 2014 - 06:50 PM

What kind of riding do you do? I'm 190lbs geared up and ride a ton of open desert in Nevada / So Cal and this bike is way too soft for me. Nothing short of stiffer springs and a revalve are going to give me what I need... Otherwise Its pretty plush through most of the stroke depending on speed, just set the sag and start from there.

Mostly woods riding.  Get to the desert every once in awhile. Took it once already and it felt pretty good so far.  More testing is needed!!!

• alstar250

Posted May 05, 2014 - 08:06 PM

Mostly woods riding.  Get to the desert every once in awhile. Took it once already and it felt pretty good so far.  More testing is needed!!!

Ya I think you'll be happy with the suspension for that terrain. That's the beauty of the SSS forks and why I held out despite ALMOST buying a new WR every year since the aluminum frame lol. I have an 07 YZ450 and hands down its the best stock suspended bike I've ever ridden, and I knew I wanted that fork in a WR. I constantly flirted with transplanting the YZ forks to a WR every year as well, but ultimately I knew I wanted FI too...  But yes, keep testing the bike and make SMALL changes as you go, these respond to just a few clicks in either direction. The beauty of the SSS is that even when it seems soft, its speed sensitive so as you start to hit stuff at pace, it has amazing bottoming resistance while remaining plush and compliant through the more technical stuff. Good luck and enjoy her!

...now if I could just get her as light and to turn as tight as my YZ... hmmmmm

Edited by alstar250, May 05, 2014 - 08:18 PM.

• mikenash

Posted May 12, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Ok I just pulled the trigger and bought a 14 from Fun Mart for $6800 plus $300 for shipping that sure is hard to beat. I did just hear that for 15 there going to the backwards motor I sure hope that isn't true.

Edited by mikenash, May 13, 2014 - 06:11 PM.

• mch

Posted May 12, 2014 - 08:01 PM

Ok I just pulled trigger and bought a 14 from Fun Mart for $6800 plus $300 for shipping that sure is hard to beat. I did just hear that for 15 there going to the backwards motor I sure hope that isn't true.

If you want to register it, you will need to show you paid taxes on it.  If the tax rate is lower in the state you purchased it from, you will have to pay Nevada the difference as if you bought it here.  I haven't come across anyone checking registrations though.  Are you in Las Vegas?

• mikenash

Posted May 12, 2014 - 08:06 PM

I'm in Reno

Edited by mikenash, May 12, 2014 - 08:06 PM.

• wizbangdoodle

Posted May 13, 2014 - 06:06 PM

Ok I just pulled trigger and bought a 14 from Fun Mart for $6800 plus $300 for shipping that sure is hard to beat. I did just hear that for 15 there going to the backwards motor I sure hope that isn't true.

I heard this same rumor.  I don't care if it is true.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.