fresh top end break in

3 replies to this topic
  • woodsrider401

Posted April 25, 2014 - 05:08 PM

just finished doing a top end in my 08 450. just curious whos doing what for breaking in the new motor?

• f150jokerstyle

Posted April 25, 2014 - 10:02 PM

Start it up, check for leaks or anything abnormal. Maybe 5 mins of run time around the yard, check for leaks or anything odd. Load it up and hit the track hard so if it blows up i'm not 40 miles in the middle of no where. Come back home change the oil and filter and clean it all up and then go do a 80+ mile desert race the next day

True story, For a buddy of mine in november we did this. Replaced crank assembly, cylinder, piston assembly, new used head, timing chain, and used all OEM parts and gaskets. Runs as good as new to this day. Break in procedures, break in oils, and junk are to be left to the KTM forums LOL jk well kinda.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stu2

Posted April 25, 2014 - 10:14 PM

Ya I agree with joker, my engine was totally rebuilt in December, athena bb, new valves, crank, main bearings etc

Did exactly what he mentions and my bike is smooth and strong after 30 hours

• DGXR

Posted April 29, 2014 - 02:04 PM

After doing a fresh top end, my MMI mechanic runs bikes through two (2) heat-cooldown cycles, each one maybe 5 minutes with light throttle going up and down the street a couple times.  The third cycle he puts a load on it with a handful of WOT runs (avoiding rev limiter), then changes the oil and it's good to go.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.