Rocky terrain

5 replies to this topic
  • Mtrain730

Posted April 24, 2014 - 04:39 AM

Hey guys I have a stock low hour yz450 valved for mx I race about once a month In between I do once in a while go for a trail ride me and a buddy did about 30 miles of super rocky trails. I was wondering how hard this is on a bike you would like too keep in decent shape. I know this is a very general question just looking for opinions on weather this will run the bike into the ground in no time. I tend too set the bike up for mx because that's were I would like it too be competative but also do some trail riding that tends too be very rough terrain. Is this a bad idea. Thanks. Just wondering if this is very abusive or if its fine. I apologize if you saw this question on another post that was a accident.

Edited by Mtrain730, April 24, 2014 - 05:06 AM.

• nickbaldwin86

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:44 AM

what are you worried about exactly?

Put a cheap skid plate on it that protects the full under body and ride

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:50 AM

+1 on the skid plate. The only thing that will be affected is your tires and you'll notice large chunks missing before too long. Obviously the track is rock free and ultra plush when groomed so laying the bike down in the rocks can have a different outcome. But the thrill, scenery and smile factor from riding 30+mi of rocky trails is priceless and far out weigh any negatives so ride on! :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:51 AM

If you don't already have them, a good pair of hand guards would be wise.

• Mtrain730

Posted April 24, 2014 - 10:32 AM

Thanks guys I guess what I'm worried about is that the bike is tight not a raddle trap it only has about 25 hrs on it I also just spent mony having it revalved. Bearings are all tight and greased. And I don't have the time or money too go threw the the bike bike every other week like some people do. Was just curious if a good rock pounding will be hard on her. I guess it is a dirt bike that's made too be riddin.

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2014 - 10:50 AM

You  think putting around in the rocks is going to be worse than MX landings?  Maybe.  Don't think so.

The simplest thing you can do is, after recording your MX setup, Back your fork rebound off 4-6 clicks, and back your fork compression all the way out.  If it tends to dive too much or bottom, crank the comp back in a couple until it's OK.  That will make the fork comply with the rocks a little better. 

At the rear, the rebound may be OK as is, but again, loosen up on the compression, both high and low speed.  You'll like it a lot better.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.