fork rebound damper adjustment screw

7 replies to this topic
  • skthom2320

Posted January 12, 2002 - 01:33 PM

Today I went to adjust the rebound damping on my forks. I immediately noticed that the left fork rebound damper screw was not "sticking out" a few millimeters like it used to (at 9 clicks out). The right fork does. Both were at 9 clicks out.

Does anyone know what is going on? I was going to pull the top cap tomorrow to check it out...

Steve T

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 13, 2002 - 06:17 AM

Did you screw it in to see if it was still 9 clicks out (I'm expecting that it's not)? The only thing that I can think of is someone must have turned it in. The damper rod on the other side is under spring tension pushing up so I don't see how the screw could screw itself in due to vibration.

• skthom2320

Posted January 13, 2002 - 09:36 AM

Yes - it was still at 9 clicks out. I turned it in to verify. Just seems weird because they were both sticking out a few millimeters the last time I adjusted the rebound a few weeks ago.

I'm going to dig into it as soon as wifey comes home to watch the kids!

Steve T

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: skthom2320 ]

• MX_Tuner

Posted January 13, 2002 - 04:24 PM

That is determined by how far the damper rod screws into the fork cap. The rod is meant to be screwed into the cap as far as it will go. If it isn't, then the starting point (for full stiff) will be farther down than the other fork. The locknut for the fork cap must be screwed down the damper rod as far as it will go before the cap is screwed on to insure the cap is installed correctly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted January 13, 2002 - 04:34 PM

MX Tuner,

Thanks for your reply. I was just in the garage looking at it. Of course you are correct. The locknut was not screwed all the way down. I guess I just overlooked it after I last changed my fork oil....

Steve T

• Scott_F

Posted January 14, 2002 - 10:34 PM

The good news is that your damper rod did not unscrew itself from your cap.

• BK14MX

Posted January 14, 2002 - 12:49 PM

Hey Mx tuner, Hows things up in cold Atlanta??

Got a question about fork caps for you. I have had two caps where the screw has stripped, leaving me with no rebound adjustment at all. I use a very small screw driver, so I don't really think its over tighting them thats done it. Any Ideas?????

• skthom2320

Posted January 14, 2002 - 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Scott F:
The good news is that your damper rod did not unscrew itself from your cap.

No doubt! The lock nut was still tight against the cap when I took it apart, just not twisted far enough down on the damper rod. If I had known EXACTLY how it works I would've have freaked out at the track and quit riding right away. Fortunately, all was OK.

Steve T

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: skthom2320 ]

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.