Engine Cut Out Traversing Water

2 replies to this topic
  • RHeritage

Posted April 21, 2014 - 05:57 AM

Had the 450 out for a ride yesterday and had to do a number of water crossings, depth from 6 to 18 inches, not too deep at all. On the very first crossing I noticed the engine begin to sputter right before it would die, I was able to get it fired up shortly after and continue on. Definitely not airbox  intrusion, checked that as soon as I cleared the water plus water was not near deep enough for that to happen. Seemed to be electrical in nature, as I continued to make further crossings if I kept the engine revs high it was not really an issue.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm stumped as to what the cause could be any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Bike is a 2004, added a trip computer last year with RPM, water temp,etc...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DeepPurplishBlue

Posted April 21, 2014 - 04:00 PM

Take ONE of the carb vent hoses and run it up under the seat.   Hang the end in the airbox intake.

On these bikes if all of the vent hoses are covered by water the engine will stop.   Running one of

them up high solves the problem.

• RHeritage

Posted April 21, 2014 - 04:10 PM

Take ONE of the carb vent hoses and run it up under the seat.   Hang the end in the airbox intake.

On these bikes if all of the vent hoses are covered by water the engine will stop.   Running one of

them up high solves the problem.

Thanks very much, will do that tomorrow, I'm sure that's the culprit.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.