Clutch in w/gas, bike stalls?

9 replies to this topic
  • SteveKing84

Posted April 20, 2014 - 03:10 PM

So I pulled my dirt bike out from winter storage (my garage) today, and after a dozen kicks it started up.  I would idle and rev just fine, however... when I pull in the clutch and try to rev it, it stalls out.  I can pull in the clutch without reving it and it will continue to run at idle.  The bike is not in gear, and was running just fine when I put away for the winter (had 2 rides on a ultrasonically cleaned carb too).  Stored with gas stabilizer.  Any ideas out there?  This doesn't make sense to me.

Posted April 20, 2014 - 03:46 PM

I have you tried holding the rpm's up high, and slowly pull in the clutch to see if it slowly kills the engine, or all at once?

What year, make and model bike?

• SteveKing84

Posted April 20, 2014 - 03:53 PM

I haven't tried that.  Will do tomorrow though.

So far I have just started it, choke on until warm and then choke off.  It will rev plenty fine in neutral no clutch.  I allow the RPMs to drop to idle, pull in clutch and rev and it dies.

This is an 04 yz450f.

Posted April 20, 2014 - 04:00 PM

I've never owned a Yamaha, but didn't some of their bikes have a switch located near the shifter, that would advance the timing when shifted into gear to idle it up some?

If you have that setup, not sure how it's all tied together though.

I would say to check your cable routing, as it may be flexing when you pull in the clutch, and pinch a wire and kill ignition spark; but I would think it would kill it at idle too. 

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED, April 20, 2014 - 04:06 PM.

Posted April 20, 2014 - 04:06 PM

On other thing to think about.  I've been in the Automotive industry forever.  I've had vehicles come in with some of the strangest problems.  Problems that initially you don't think about because your looking for a naturally occurring problem.  When you finally pin down the problem, it was RATS chewing on wiring.  :jawdrop:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SteveKing84

Posted April 20, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Definitly no rats.  Just seems odd.

Edited by SteveKing84, April 20, 2014 - 04:10 PM.

• Monk

Posted April 20, 2014 - 04:10 PM

Edited by Monk, April 20, 2014 - 04:11 PM.

Posted April 20, 2014 - 04:13 PM

Oh no you don't.

Let's hear it! :naughty:

• billygildark5007

Posted April 21, 2014 - 08:27 PM

Make a new topic reading "help gray" and the master will figure it out

• SteveKing84

Posted April 24, 2014 - 04:58 AM

Sorry guys, no update yet.  Called out of town for work, getting back tonight.  Hopefully I can play around with it then.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.