2014 wr450f

15 replies to this topic
  • yamaha.44

Posted April 19, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Quick question.. Hopefully.. I just bought a new 2014 wr450f. My question is that I am having to use my starter assist on the bike everytime I start it even after riding it for a few hours.. Is this normal? I have read the manual and it does say to use it on a cold start but after that its pretty vague. Any help would be much appreciated ! Only have a 30 day warranty. No extended warranty available for that model.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted April 20, 2014 - 09:06 AM

Check your idle speed, guessing it's too low. FYI, I have a new 2013 and I've never used the cold start,even when it was 28 degrees. I only have about 160 miles on the bike, but it starts good when is hot too. I'm running GYTR ECU & throttle screw w/ stock map, GYTR muffler insert, snorkel removed. 

• yamaha.44

Posted April 20, 2014 - 11:06 AM

I checked the idle adjust and its set about tight according to the manual. They did take the snorkle and the baffle off the bike before i picked it up. It just started backfiring while im trying to start it as well. I think my best bet now is to take it back to the dealership and ask them to figure it out..

• mebgardner

Posted April 20, 2014 - 11:21 AM

I checked the idle adjust and its set about tight according to the manual. They did take the snorkle and the baffle off the bike before i picked it up. It just started backfiring while im trying to start it as well. I think my best bet now is to take it back to the dealership and ask them to figure it out..

Wait, you took the baffle off? Put it back on, you dont have enough back pressure to maintain the correct fueling.

• yamaha.44

Posted April 20, 2014 - 11:45 AM

They called it a baffle. Its about 2" long and metal.

• dbcon

Posted April 21, 2014 - 03:09 PM

They called it a baffle. Its about 2" long and metal.

That's it.  Put it back in to see if it solves your problem.  I'm not sure why the dealership would've removed the parts.  They should've let you derestrict the bike yourself.  I did what 5270ADVRIDER did "GYTR ECU & throttle screw w/ stock map, GYTR muffler insert, snorkel removed." and readjusted my idle after it warmed up for a couple of minutes.  I love the setup.  If the original baffle insert helps your problem then just order the GYTR quiet performance insert and you'll be good to go.  It looks like this....X001-Y001.jpg

• yamaha.44

Posted April 21, 2014 - 05:56 PM

Per our last conversation about putting it back in I attempted to reinstall the baffle. When I did I found that it was secured with rivits that were drilled out. This prevents me from reinstalling. Ill call Yamaha about this in the morning..

• 3Deuces

Posted April 22, 2014 - 03:18 AM

You have removed the "pea shootr" insert, which is perfectly fine.  You really need the GYTR ECU to get this bike to run like it's supposed to.

I removed the pea shooter, intake snorkel and installed the ECU.  More power than I'll ever need and is still nice and quiet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha.44

Posted April 22, 2014 - 04:41 AM

Cool.. Ive head about the computer.. Ive been a little worried that the bike would be too powerful for me after i reprogrammed it.. How much more powerful is it? Ive read a lot about how people are unhappy with the power in the wr.. But ive been pretty happy ..

• XMXZX

Posted April 22, 2014 - 04:45 AM

Quick question.. Hopefully.. I just bought a new 2014 wr450f. My question is that I am having to use my starter assist on the bike everytime I start it even after riding it for a few hours.. Is this normal? I have read the manual and it does say to use it on a cold start but after that its pretty vague. Any help would be much appreciated ! Only have a 30 day warranty. No extended warranty available for that model.

Where is the starter assist?  I had my bike up north this weekend and I couldn't get it started I think because it was to cold.  Had to bring it in the cabin to warm up for a few hours.

• yamaha.44

Posted April 22, 2014 - 04:53 AM

Its on the left hand side if your sitting on it. Its right beside the frame about halfway down the bike. Its a plastic knob. Just pop it out. After it warms up which is like 30 seconds pop it back in. You can also adjust the engine idle with this knob. It has to be pushed in. Right decreases idle rpm and left increases engine rpm.

• XMXZX

Posted April 22, 2014 - 05:24 AM

Its on the left hand side if your sitting on it. Its right beside the frame about halfway down the bike. Its a plastic knob. Just pop it out. After it warms up which is like 30 seconds pop it back in. You can also adjust the engine idle with this knob. It has to be pushed in. Right decreases idle rpm and left increases engine rpm.

Thanks.  I hope that helps with cold starting.

• Maddog03

Posted April 22, 2014 - 05:29 AM

I've experienced this same issue. Running a GYTR exhaust with spark arrest screen removed, throttle stop removed and snorkel removed. Bought a GYTR programmer and changed the factory ECU map to a richer one. Problem solved. Make sure you don't touch the throttle while you start it, and let it run until it warms up a bit, then give her hell!

• yamaha.44

Posted April 22, 2014 - 05:37 AM

How much of a difference does it make putting the programmer to it?

• XMXZX

Posted April 22, 2014 - 05:41 AM

I've experienced this same issue. Running a GYTR exhaust with spark arrest screen removed, throttle stop removed and snorkel removed. Bought a GYTR programmer and changed the factory ECU map to a richer one. Problem solved. Make sure you don't touch the throttle while you start it, and let it run until it warms up a bit, then give her hell!

I have mine on map # 9 right now.  I have a programmer so I might change it for next year.  Shouldnt have any more issues with it being to cold now because I wont be back up riding for a couple weeks.  It was around 30 degrees or so when it wouldnt start but it had dropped down to around 24 that night and it was inside the trailer. 

• Maddog03

Posted April 22, 2014 - 01:16 PM

Im talking from experience with factory ECU. Reprogramming will affect cold starting, and where the power / torque is more or less responsive. Also the different maps will affect fuel consumption. You basically decide if you want a smooth linear power application, or do you want a hard hit of power early / or late in the RPM band. Oddly enough the higher power settings run leaner fuel trim and use less fuel.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.