XR650L Super Motard - Check it out!

18 replies to this topic
  • JaminJimmy

Posted January 16, 2004 - 03:02 PM

I thought I would never finish it. Always a few more items...
What do you think?

http://www.villageph...selected=728359

• michaeln

Posted January 16, 2004 - 03:07 PM

It looks really good, Jimmy! I am in process of building one too... all I am waiting for is my wheels, everything else is done. Should be here next week with any luck, and I'll put up some photos then. Mine is all black.

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted January 16, 2004 - 05:47 PM

What year is your bike? Looks really sharp good job. :D I thought about turning mine into a super moto weapon but I love the dirt and rocks too much LoL. :)

• big t

Posted January 16, 2004 - 06:27 PM

That is sweet! I would like to have another 650r to supermotard if I had the money. I know it would be fun to ride on the street just from riding mine around the neighborhood.

• michaeln

Posted January 30, 2004 - 07:34 AM

I finished my black XR650L SuperMoto yesterday. There is a collection of pics at:

http://www.southbayr...read.php?t=2500

• Rover31

Posted January 30, 2004 - 08:03 AM

What is the front brake on that thing it's huge
Travis

• michaeln

Posted January 30, 2004 - 08:16 AM

What is the front brake on that thing it's huge
Travis

It's a 320mm rotor from M.A.P. Engineering. 1 finger stoppies!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 30, 2004 - 10:00 AM

Pretty cool..... :)

• slip

Posted January 30, 2004 - 05:13 PM

You have done a terrific job in turning the L into an awesome motard. :) Maybe if I get tired of dual sporting mine, I'll do the same thing, I have allways liked the looks of the Duke. I think your custom Tard is one sweet ride. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rover31

Posted January 30, 2004 - 06:57 PM

320mm rotor from M.A.P.

AHHHH now I now what it looks like thanks!! :)
Travis

• Dual_Dog

Posted January 31, 2004 - 05:46 AM

Custom Dee-lux and a nice job. :) Bet that was some $$$ and more than a few hours.

What were you using as a "formula" (template) for your experiment? :D

• michaeln

Posted January 31, 2004 - 01:30 PM

Custom Dee-lux and a nice job. :) Bet that was some $$$ and more than a few hours.

What were you using as a "formula" (template) for your experiment? :D

No formula, no template. Just made it up as I went along.

• JaminJimmy

Posted February 07, 2004 - 11:49 AM

Michaeln -
How did you adapt your axel sliders? I've been looking to make some work but all ive seen are the through bolt types for hollow axels. Nice XRL conversion.

• EastCoastWheels

Posted February 07, 2004 - 02:15 PM

Hi Jim...
looks great!!! :D :)

OK if I use a photo for the web??

Jeff

• michaeln

Posted February 07, 2004 - 02:47 PM

Michaeln -
How did you adapt your axel sliders? I've been looking to make some work but all ive seen are the through bolt types for hollow axels. Nice XRL conversion.

Adapt? Dunno what you mean. The axles on my bike are hollow, front & rear. The sliders I have are from SuperMoto Engineering. They have stainless steel through axle rods that hold the sliders. It takes about two minutes to install them.

Incidentally, they work really well. I dumped the bike (lowsided in some gravel at about 30MPH) a couple days ago. The bike slid quite a ways, the only damage was a scratched left side cover, a bent footpeg and scratched handguard. The rear slider was ground down about 1/4" at an angle, and the front one was just scratched.

If only I could heal these bruised ribs and twisted ankle as easily as I replaced the axle sliders. :)

• JaminJimmy

Posted February 08, 2004 - 08:06 AM

Sorry to hear about the roadrash. The axels on my '94 XRL are solid so I assumed you had adapted the sliders to work with the solid axels. What year is your XRL? I may need to investigate new axels for my '94.

• JaminJimmy

Posted February 08, 2004 - 08:11 AM

Hi Jim...
looks great!!! :) :D

OK if I use a photo for the web??

Jeff

Jeff - I'll email you some better photos (better angles and highlighting the cool wheels :D). Thanks again for working with me to get them done.

• michaeln

Posted February 08, 2004 - 12:56 PM

Sorry to hear about the roadrash. The axels on my '94 XRL are solid so I assumed you had adapted the sliders to work with the solid axels. What year is your XRL? I may need to investigate new axels for my '94.

My bike's a '98. I have no idea they'd changed from solid to hollow. SuperMoto Engineering has a kit that will work on solid axles too... you have to drill and tap a 1/4 x 20 hole (well, 4 of them, one on each end of each axle).

• JaminJimmy

Posted February 10, 2004 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the info Michaeln, I'm check out Supermoto Engineering. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.