Another wr426 backfiring thread

6 replies to this topic
  • s3v3red

Posted April 17, 2014 - 10:39 PM

I've messed with the carb until there's no end. It has done this since I got it last year. Maybe I'm confused. Should I open the pilot screw more until it quits (if it quits)?

The bike has an aftermarket exhaust, no known leaks.
Going to double check the timing in the morning.
Will post a video tomorrow also for better reference.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 18, 2014 - 04:49 AM

Backfiring? You mean through the carb?

...or do you mean deceleration popping out the exhaust?

It's an excess air issue

- service the hot start, choke, slide seal, carb body top seal, air boots, exhaust junctions and header crush washer

THEN adjust and tune the pilot circuit.

• Maddog03

Posted April 18, 2014 - 06:45 AM

You will probably always get some backfire on deceleration, the nature of the beast. The type of pipe and condition will cause more or less. Not to be confused with backfire under load or backfire through the intake.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • s3v3red

Posted April 18, 2014 - 09:26 AM

Backfiring? You mean through the carb?

...or do you mean deceleration popping out the exhaust?

It's an excess air issue

- service the hot start, choke, slide seal, carb body top seal, air boots, exhaust junctions and header crush washer

THEN adjust and tune the pilot circuit.

Is this why it is difficult to start sometimes also?

• mediumdaddy

Posted April 18, 2014 - 09:40 AM

Mine backfired like a boss no matter what until i replaced the exhaust gasket on the head. Fixed it right up.

• fastfoodfred

Posted April 18, 2014 - 10:09 AM

Is this why it is difficult to start sometimes also?

Just guessing, but it is hard to start warm, right? Most likely from making the pilot more rich, trying to stop the pop. A certain amount of snap, crackle, and pop is completely normal and can be a sign of a good running engine. It should not sound like gun fire.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 18, 2014 - 11:24 AM

Jetting is the key

Of course, any air leak, anywhere will negate your best jetting efforts.

The X is one of the best starting bikes out there.....if you maintain your carb and jet it properly.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.