2005 WR450f Suspension for older riders

6 replies to this topic
  • Mavericks95

Posted April 15, 2014 - 07:25 PM

I have 3 rides on my (new to me) 2005 WR450F and I must say I love the bike and this forum has been a great help so far. I am a rider in my 40's that has some lower spine arthritis and the typical ailments of an ex football player. I know the bike is set up stock for a 160 to 180lb rider. We'll I'm 6'3" and 250 to 265 depending on the time of year. I have read the forums on different suspension vendors but I need to know is there a difference between a $700 re-spring and re-valve and an $1100 one. I typically ride SoCal desert and trails. What is typical cost and who did yours?

• KennyMc

Posted April 16, 2014 - 12:07 AM

I have 3 rides on my (new to me) 2005 WR450F and I must say I love the bike and this forum has been a great help so far. I am a rider in my 40's that has some lower spine arthritis and the typical ailments of an ex football player. I know the bike is set up stock for a 160 to 180lb rider. We'll I'm 6'3" and 250 to 265 depending on the time of year. I have read the forums on different suspension vendors but I need to know is there a difference between a $700 re-spring and re-valve and an $1100 one. I typically ride SoCal desert and trails. What is typical cost and who did yours?

I don't know what you are getting for the additional $400, but I have always paid ~$700-$800.  I had RG3 and Smart Performance do the work on mine, with SP working out better.

But for me, the best thing I have EVER done was buying a pair of YZ450 forks off of eBay and then having them resprung and revalved.  I paid $300 for the forks and then paid for the revalve.  For me, BIG difference between the closed cartridge forks of the YZ and the open cartridge of the WR.  The YZ forks can soak up the small, sharp hits of the rocks and still have the bottoming out resistance that I could never get with the WR forks.  I ride the same as you, the CA deserts and local mtns.  This time around I had ENZO in Santa Ana do the revalve, they have been doing the KYB's for a long time.  Great set-up the first go around :thumbsup:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 16, 2014 - 06:04 AM

^^^^ What he said

Don't bother with the stock forks unless you are a very mellow rider.

I tired RG3, Smart Performance, Factory Connection, and ProAction in my various WR forks.

The ProAction was the best, and still only about 50% of the improvement over the YZ SSS forks after a re-valve by Steric Racing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mavericks95

Posted April 16, 2014 - 06:15 AM

Thanks for the info, Enzo is one of the companies I was looking at. Yeah the $400 difference is why I started the thread. I wasn't sure if there could even be a $400 difference in valves or springs. It appears to be mostly in the labor portion and paying for the name of the shop. I could see how a professional might be able to tell the difference in parts but I'm not to sure I could tell since I don't ride everyday or have ever ridden a tuned suspension for my weight.

• KennyMc

Posted April 16, 2014 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the info, Enzo is one of the companies I was looking at. Yeah the $400 difference is why I started the thread. I wasn't sure if there could even be a $400 difference in valves or springs. It appears to be mostly in the labor portion and paying for the name of the shop. I could see how a professional might be able to tell the difference in parts but I'm not to sure I could tell since I don't ride everyday or have ever ridden a tuned suspension for my weight.

It wasn't ENZO that was $400 more was it?  They are $180 for the revalve and $112 for the springs (front) and the same $180 revalve for the back but $122 for the shock spring.  Then you add $ for any wear parts (seals, bushings).  Should be in the $700-$800 range.  Real nice guys to talk to as well :thumbsup:  

• vlxjim

Posted April 16, 2014 - 10:14 AM

B good to see you here. Save your cash. Just lose 100lbs and dial in some rebound. LOL

• Mavericks95

Posted April 16, 2014 - 03:16 PM

Enzo was one on the lower end of the $ scale and out of the 3 seemed legit, factory connection and race tech were way out of line. In fact race tech hasn't returned any of my 3 phone calls. I was able to get ahold of a salesman but service hasn't got back with me.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.