bike quits when I touch the throttle

4 replies to this topic
  • treefrog

Posted April 15, 2014 - 05:57 PM

99 WR400. what could cause my bike to stall when I touch the throttle? I changed from yz timing back to wr and it starts fairly easy but, when I try to give it some throttle it keeps stalling. I pulled the carb apart recently and cleaned hell out of it. I keep thinking I smell "bad" gas now and then also. Could this be a possibility? Where should I start looking?

Edited by treefrog, April 15, 2014 - 05:59 PM.

• Silent Echo

Posted April 15, 2014 - 06:02 PM

Make sure the gas tank is clean, and you have quality gas on there. Sounds like your carb won't transition from your idle to pilot... Smaller pilot? Have you tuned the air or fuel screw?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 15, 2014 - 06:33 PM

Are you sure there is a clip on the needle?

• treefrog

Posted April 16, 2014 - 05:45 PM

I just cleaned the carb. Needle clip#3 still there. Will pull carb, clean,and replace pilot. Going to drain and clean the fuel tank also. Will update with results. Hopefully good results.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 16, 2014 - 06:25 PM

It's not the pilot, or it wouldn't idle.

It's more likely the air jet in the intake bell, clogged with schmutz..... or your main jet fell out....

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, April 16, 2014 - 06:26 PM.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.